Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for GPS coordinates
07-23-2005, 07:06 AM,
Looking for GPS coordinates
Heya gang,

So I know some of you know I help run for SCUBA  divers, and if you've ever visited it, you might have wandered into the Dive Site Database we have on it. Unfortunately, the database has been a little lack-luster as of late, but I finally got a new feature working on it (it just took a little hacking of the code to get it done).

As of now, we have about 40 dive sites in the database. Some are shipwrecks, some are boat dives, while others are shore dives. The problem with the bulk of all these locations is that not everyone knows where they are, how to get there, or from what location to enter the water.

Thankfully, I've changed some of the data fields in the module to allow GPS coordinates for these sites, and now that I've done a little hack, the "Map" feature will bring up the GPS coordinates on Google's Map server. Most of the coordinates are pretty acurate, and will lead you to the actual entry points some of us have used in the past.

What's really cool, is you can then press the Satellite button to see some pretty high-res imagery of the dive location. Now that you know where it is, you can then use Google Maps to figure out how to drive there as well.

So, if you have some dive sites you'd like to share, help us out and start entering data. If you don't have a GPS unit, don't worry, we can help you figure out the coordinates, just help out the dive community by letting us know some of your favorite dives sites!

Thanks all