Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hitler's Lost Sub June 14 Nova
06-04-2003, 08:20 AM,
Hitler's Lost Sub June 14 Nova
For those of us who may have missed it the first time it aired,
Hitlers Lost Sub, the story of the U-869 and a partial replay of the story in "The Last Dive" will be airing June 14th on MPTV (I don't remember the time offhand, but will post after I remember).

It is a great scuba related show.
06-04-2003, 09:07 PM,
Re:Hitler's Lost Sub June 14 Nova
I have seen this presentation on NOVA and it is very good. If you get the chance to see it you should. Both for the history and the scuba diving.

Doug
06-04-2003, 10:12 PM,
Is this the story about the father and son who died trying to identify this U-boat?
--Jason
06-04-2003, 10:52 PM,
That is a part of it.

Doug
06-05-2003, 06:33 AM,
The father and son team who died on the mystery u-boat were Chris and Chrissy Rouse. They attempted to penetrate the 240' deep wreck on air. Their story is documented in 'The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury, the publisher of Immersed Magazine. Another diver had died in an earlier attempt to identify the wreck, Steven Feldman. He was thought to have blacked out in an attempt to reach the anchor line after slipping off. A trawler recovered his body six months later.
06-05-2003, 07:12 AM,
The book The Last Dive is pretty good. It was one of those books that once I picked up and started reading, I really couldn't quit. It's a good story, has got some interesting tales on the pioneers in diving.

And after you read it, you may have a few extra nerves bugging you on your first dive Wink
06-05-2003, 07:37 AM,
I thought the book was decent, not terribly well written though. Too many flash-back/flash forward/change of scenes. The Rouses don't (in my opinion) make the most sympathetic protagonists either.
I thought Kevin McMurray's "Deep Descent" was a better book, writing wise.
You're right, both are guaranteed to give you a moments pause when suiting up, and that's not bad.
06-05-2003, 07:58 AM,
Yeah, you couldn't be entirely sympathetic to the Rouse's in that book - they were kind of bullheaded. And they were asking for trouble on their last dive - everyone telling them not to do it....ah well.

I thought Deep Descent was good too - although, once again, I had a hard time feeling sorry for some of the people that died on the Doria. The attitude that they had...all that work, trouble, and risk for a china plate.
06-05-2003, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2003, 08:35 AM by FreediveWI.)
I remember when the Rouse's died. It was written up in all of the tec-diving magazines at the time. You can't feel too sorry for a couple of guys diving AIR at 240' and then trying to go into a wreck.

Another book that is interesting, and a quick read, is "Beyond The Deep" by Dr. Bill Stone. It was a pretty wild exploration that took place back in 94'.

My favorite is " Homo Delphinus" by Jacque Mayol. He was the first man to break the 100 meter barrier while freediving. He was a very interesting, and eccentric, old man.

"Blue Water Hunter" and "Freedive" are also very good books by Dr. terry Mass. He has a special that is played on cable TV every month or so.

Jon
06-12-2003, 08:15 AM,
CORRECTION: Hitler's Lost Sub JUNE 17 -Nova
:o OOPS, sorry for the mis-info. Hitler's Lost Sub will air on Tuesday June 17 at 7pm on Channel 10. It will also rebroadcast at 3am and 8pm on June 18th.

here's a cool link to the Nova companion website for the show.

scubert