Remember me
Lost Password Register

906 the endless cable
07-18-2005, 02:21 PM,
906 the endless cable
Has anyone ever made it to the end of the cable trailing off of the 906?  I have made several attempts and it just does not quit.  To locate the cable it comes off of the back of the left side of the 906 as it would appear from looking at it crain or rocker arm wreckage.  I scootered out over 1000' and then it curves several times passes a fishnet and keeps on going.
07-18-2005, 06:33 PM,
Re: 906 the endless cable
There's nothing out there.

When the last survior told his story he said that the tow tug had to let out all the tow cable before they could turn around and come back to pick up the survivors. I think it goes on for like a mile.

Bob Duchrow scootered the whole thing a few years ago and confirmed this- said he saw only the occasional fish net out there.

Jon
07-19-2005, 01:53 PM,
Re: 906 the endless cable
Last September I heard about the cable and decided to try to dive it to the end on a Wednesday night Len-der charter. No scooter, just my jet fins and an overfilled LP steel 85.  I passed the fishnet perpendicular across the cable. Later the cable disappeared under the lake bottom but resurfaced 20 feet later.  I hit the end of the cable shot some video and came back.  Stopping for a 3 minute safety stop I came up about 100 feet from the charter boat and swam back on the surface. Thinking back it was a dumb idea, when I could have shot more video of the dredge itself, but here is the glorious still of the end.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   906 Dredge - 301 End of stern cable.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.85 KB / Downloads: 0)