Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pearl Lake Update
07-18-2005, 01:14 AM,
Pearl Lake Update
I just wanted to put the word out that the bar on Pearl Lake (near Red Granite) is for sale due to the owner being placed in an elderly care home.
The son-in-law is keeping the bar open but THE BEACH IS CLOSED (as well as the boat ramp). He said they do not have the manpower to maintain it and liability is also an issue. They were nice enough to allow people to use the beach recently but they abused it and he had a rough time getting them off the beach (at 2 am). The dock is not even in the water.
However, he said he would allow scuba divers to dive there because we are only on shore for a very short time and have been well behaved. Bubble watchers/ sunbathers will have to find another location though. He said they want to accommodate scuba divers and he apologizes for any inconvenience. Just stop in the bar and let him know you are a scuba diver and he will let you haul your gear down.
I hope a scuba diver buys that bar. That could really be made into an awesome dive destination. It has GREAT potential.
I went boat diving in Pearl Lake last weekend and again today. The vis went from 10'-15' down to 6'-8' in one week. The algae bloom has begun .
So far it has been a very interesting lake to dive except near the public boat landing which is like diving over a lawn with nothing to see.
07-18-2005, 06:17 PM,
Re: Pearl Lake Update
I've been there twice in the last week.  Go in the resort and tell him you're a diver and would like to dive from their beach.  He allowed us to both times but he is very concerned about others seeing people on their beach and wanting to use it as well for swimming.  Asure him you'll stay hidden and not make it obvious that you are using the beach.  Visibility was pretty good very shallow, like above 12 ft.  Below that not only did visibility diminish, but so did the fish.  We saw lots of species (though small ones) in the shallows and had some nice, warm dives there.
07-18-2005, 06:38 PM,
Re: Pearl Lake Update
I've never used the resort. We just always drive aorund to the free ramp and launch our dive kayaks to go spearfishing. Other times, when we don't have the boats, we still jump in there and just swim the lake.

Jon