Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wazee Gazing Ball Broken
07-11-2005, 10:43 AM,
Wazee Gazing Ball Broken
I was very bummed to read this on the MNscuba.com site.

07-11-2005, 11:23 AM,
Re: Wazee Gazing Ball Broken
very nice, very nice  >Sad

Apparently they already have a confession by the guilty party.  I think we should start hauling concrete lawn ornaments down there, they probably won't smash as easily.
07-11-2005, 12:25 PM,
It broken every year or two.  There are layers of broken gazing ball shards under all that silt by it Smile

Two years ago when it last broke, my fiance and I bought another gazing ball.  By the time we made it out there, it had already been replaced.  I've still got the ball sitting in my basement Smile

The blue swirly bowling ball that's been in the lake for a few years is currently in it's place.
07-11-2005, 05:57 PM,

So that's where it went  ;D.
07-12-2005, 08:18 AM,
Last year I talked to the guy who claimed to put it down there. He said he brought the first one down, set it up, and then turned around to leave. He banged the ball with his tank and it shattered. He bought another and replaced it shortly after. This explained the ball shards around.

Still can't figure out what the diver with the bowling ball was trying to do when he broke it?!?
07-12-2005, 08:30 AM,

Bowling ;D    He got a strike!
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2005, 09:13 PM by matt t..)

Underwater bowling is fast becoming one of my favorite past times. Red Granite currently has the slickest lanes  Wink
07-14-2005, 10:44 PM,
Yes the gazing ball is trashed.  Here is the bowling ball in place.

Also, near by appears to be one of the dreaded underwater gnomes, famous for killing british divers.  Was is one of these fiendish devils that attacked the gazing ball? 

Look out boys, this could be deadly.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Bowling Ball - 2 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.08 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Gnome - 1 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.37 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-16-2005, 07:16 PM,
Well, the gazing ball replacement didn't go as planned.  On the first dive, I brought the new ball down.  I pushed the bowling ball aside, only to find that the old gazing ball had been caulked in place with what must have been a whole tube of caulk.  So, I tried busting the old ball out of the holder with some rocks but it got *really* silted *really* quick.  After working in no viz for awhile I decided to haul the whole setup back to the surface.

I got the old ball and caulk pulled out, and had the new ball all prepped.  I had put some sand in it and then filled it with water.  I taped the end shut so the sand would stay inside and weigh it down...I set the gazing ball in the shallows in preperation for the next dive...and it tapped against a rock and broke.  ARRGGHH.

Sooo...I put the mount back down with the bowling ball in it again.

I even ran into town to try and find another ball, but no one had any in stock.  BUMMER.  I'll have to try again some other time...in the meantime, guess we'll have to live w/ the bowling ball.
04-08-2006, 09:06 AM,
Might want to try one of the stainless steel balls.  It might need a polishing every year, but at least it won't shatter.

I have talked to Heavy Critters in Oshkosh, and they have some statuary that would love to find a quarry.  I think it would be fun to sink a lighthouse with solar powered LED light in Redgranite.  Sound like fun?  The only problem might be the kids trashing the panel.
DEW >&ltWink)>