Remember me
Lost Password Register

What event made you head toward/away from DIR?
07-19-2005, 04:11 PM,
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR?

First of all, I think its pretty hard to compare rebreather diving with open circuit diving when focusing on equipment, hardware and issues surrounding such.  I think the fundamentals of DIR are important for both but you cannot take the literal translation of DIR for open circuit and apply it to CCR diving.  From an equipment perspective, they are two different beasts all together.

I guess I don't see any blasts from anyone on your type of diving.  You seem to be thinking that folks here are condemning rebreathers.  I agree that they are probably the future (kinda like Nitrox/Trimix was in the late 80's-early 90's) but right now they are damn expensive and so is the training.  I think most here on the board would have no problem with playing with rebreathers if someone else would pay for it.  ;D  So focusing on OC and not RB's, DIR for the technically oriented divers, like myself, works and works well so why change my open circuit configuration to something completely unknown and untested for the sake of "making it my own".  I would rather use my current DIR gear/planning/execution than trying to develop something new and find out the hard way that it does not work.  That is not to say if I find something DIR that does not work, I will continue using it because GI III says so.  At the same time, I will not condemn someone else to "STROKE" status because they dive differently than I.  I may not choose to make a 250 foot dive with that person but no one gains anything by labeling.  I hope that we can all get away from the "if you do that you will die" attitude that permeates DIR horribly.  You are the captain of your own ship........sail it how you want....just don't expect me to sail with you. ;D

Can you elaborate on why doubles (I'm assuming you mean "open circuit") is not safe for deep diving and if not safe, why do most CCR divers use it for a bailout?  This might be a good topic to break off from this one in DIR, maybe a Rebreather category since Dive Time can share some knowledge on the subject?  Administrators?

Messages In This Thread
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - by Omicron - 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - by Vtach - 07-19-2005, 04:11 PM