Remember me
Lost Password Register

What event made you head toward/away from DIR?
07-19-2005, 03:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2005, 03:37 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR?
CCR: I don't see much difference in the two, KPP uses RBs; SCR works for them because of cost, testing, etc. and they have funds for  gas available. They did most end-of-the-line dives on OC, the RB was just an adaptation to extend their planning.  They do all their dives on their stage bottles anyhow and don't touch the backgas. The RB is just backup... When WKPP did their last push, CCR was highly experimental and had a higher fatality rate due to the fact most of the units out there were only test units. Now even DiveRite is coming out with one. Same thing goes for computers. When KPP was doing it's thing computers were all one or two gas using 70 year old algorithms and unreliable as hell. There's been a quantum leap since then. Tables are neccesary for an experimental dive pushing the known envelope and requiring 11 hours of deco, but for most recreational divers, especially cold water divers, they won't be pushing the envelope that hard. For pushing Wakulla with a team of 15, yeah, confiscate everyone's computer and make them dive your table. AUS requires it for their divers too. But computer does not automatically equal stroke. Especially when you know that the good computers are using the same tables the DIR divers are putting in their hip pocket. I'd trust the computer more than i'd trust my ability to read my own handwriting and probable delineation from the planned time or loss of deco gas. And then if you factor your typical cave dive doing 10 minutes at 70 for 300', dropping down to 120' for 30 minutes for 1200', sloping gradually up to a restriction at 30' and then doing it all over in reverse, you'd fill up a notebook with contingency tables, and they'd all probably be wrong. Bottom timers can fail too (i've actually seen this happen many more times than a computer)  I think we'll see GUE change their stance on this in the future.

Yep, Jason, I predict we'll see the idea repackaged and ripped off again by big three when they can safely sidestep it into their programs (hmmm now that GI3 has a muzzle it might happen sooner than never), which would be nice so we can chuck the "Peak Buoyancy" and "Advanced Diver" cards and replace them with classes people can use.

/ putting $100 on 2007

Messages In This Thread
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - by Omicron - 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - by WIdiver_Paul - 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM