Remember me
Lost Password Register

What event made you head toward/away from DIR?
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM by Chris H.)
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR?

Welcome to the board.
Your style may work fine for you.  DIR isn't about the individual, it is about the team.  Does your buddy know what works for you?   Could he find your back-up mask if he needed to; how about your knife?  The other thing that gets lost in the majority of these online discussions is that DIR is a holistic approach to diving.  There is one chapter on equipment in the DIR-F book.  I think there are at least 10 chapters on the other things that are important in DIR.

The fact that you happen to like the way DIR divers place back-up lights are on their kit is great, but to call that DIR is like putting Ferrari valve stem covers on my Volvo and calling it a Ferrari.   That method of attachment used in the DIR system, but choosing bits and pieces you like is nothing more than just that.  Why is the cave line attachment OK on your lights, but not on other equipment?   Why didn’t you use the same method you used for your other gear to attach the lights?

I disagree agree that DIR is a tool and prefer to think of it as a well organized shop.   But again it isn't about which part of it you like or don't like.  Do you think they all sat around and made a bunch of stuff up?  This stuff was developed for a reason, to have fun, and dive safely.  It is about like minded divers safely preparing for a dive as a team and not having to wonder what their buddy is going to have on this dive because we all dive with the same mindset and gear configuration.   In the big picture that is DIR, I would think there isn't a one of us on the board that truly fits the bill.   Some of us are closer than others and some just don't get it at all.

I recommend a DIR-F class so you can get the real story.  I agree that internet divers are annoying.   You can't learn to dive on the net, you need to go and dive.   All things DIR are done for a reason, there are many GUE instructors available to tell you why it is done that way, and most will do so in a friendly, professional manner.  If you do take a DIR-F class, be sure to open your mind and get the most out of the class.    After seeing the GUE instructors in the water, all I have to say is why WOULDN'T you want to be able to dive like that?   They have some serious dive skills.

Messages In This Thread
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - by Chris H - 07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - by Omicron - 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM