Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Wazee and dive flags
06-28-2005, 01:27 PM,
Lake Wazee and dive flags
Dragging a dive flag is usually nothing more than a very slight annoyance but at Wazee it's a pain because of the trees, of which we want to take great care not to damage.  I know that I often tie off the flag somewhere safe and retreve it on my way back, but  I was wondering how many of you don't bother taking one in the lake with you.  Have you been ticketed for not having one, and what are the possibilies of changing the rule for that lake, given that there are no motorized boats on the lakes.  Just wondering.

Mike
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM,
Re: Lake Wazee and dive flags
We've never used one up there, and honestly I've never even seen anyone use one. I would say "don't bother", but I've given bad advice before ;D
06-28-2005, 04:37 PM,
Thanks.  That's what I have assumed by seeing so many divers without one.  But, the literature says that they're required so....

Still looking for a post indicating that someone either has been ticketed or warned by the police about not having one.    My bet is that no one really gives a hoot.
06-28-2005, 04:43 PM,

I haven't been bothered about a flag, but there was an instance where a ranger was none too impressed that we didn't pay to dive.  It was late in the year and the sign at the gate was a bit misleading.    Todd endend up walking in his drysuit, through the woods, to the shack and showing the ranger what we were talking about.  It was fairly amusing looking back at it, but not so funny at the time.
06-28-2005, 05:15 PM,
Yeah, it seems that a lot of "park enforcement" type people feel the need to justify their jobs with unnecessary tickets. I'm sure Todds $10 went a long way toward getting that guy a raise.
06-28-2005, 08:19 PM,
I don't bother....but it is the law, so do it at your own risk Smile
06-28-2005, 08:53 PM,
We tie them off shallow and swim away to do our deep dives. As long as you come back to your flag  on ascent no ones seems to care.

I do know someone that I play underwater hockey with got busted in Devil's Lake without a flag and it cost him a LOT of money.

I was out there today, freediving, so the flag just stays on my surface float.

Jon
06-29-2005, 01:13 PM,
I Believe the fine is 185, or at least that is what I remember arron and dave paying a few years ago for no flag.  So it is your own decision.  But I would never tow one around, as mentioned just come back near it.
Greg
06-29-2005, 04:07 PM,
I usually tie it off and come back to it.
I hate draging the thing in a quarry where there are no motor boats. Figure then someone knows someone is diving yet

And I have to say that in most lakes where there are motor boats no one really knows what it is anyhow.  Guess it's our responsiblility to keep low when you hear a motor close.
gail

06-29-2005, 05:08 PM,
I've surfaced at Elkhart Lake and had the Sheriff's Department boat monitoring my flag.  It is a vice feeling and I always made sure I thanked them, because you are correct when you say most pleasure boaters don't have a clue about a dive flag.