Remember me
Lost Password Register

Light in left hand?
06-26-2005, 01:02 PM,
Re: Light in left hand?
Do you find that the rapid moving light while you rewind confuses your buddy?
[/quote]
I always thought he was trying to get my attention so I could watch how good he is with the reel Wink.
06-26-2005, 03:32 PM,
Do you find that the rapid moving light while you rewind confuses your buddy?
[/quote]
I always thought he was trying to get my attention so I could watch how good he is with the reel Wink.

[/quote]
That about sums that up.....
I use to dive my light in the right hand until a few points were brought up to me, biggest one mentioned earilier OOA diver getting blinded.  I always noticed the light movement with my reel that I think bothered me more then my buddy.  Slow and steady light = a steady buddy.  Anyhow food for thought.  I am off to Mack again until Tuesday then then back for the Simmons project.  Cell phone is best if anyone needs to call.
06-26-2005, 08:20 PM,

I figured this out today while diving with Scubert.  His halogen light is so dim that you hardly notice that it is on, yet alone moving a little bit, while he's messing with a reel. Wink
06-27-2005, 02:31 AM,

I figured this out today while diving with Scubert.  His halogen light is so dim that you hardly notice that it is on, yet alone moving a little bit, while he's messing with a reel. Wink
[/quote]

har har,
I think you numpties are all just scared of the dark  Wink
06-27-2005, 05:44 AM,
I just want to get a clear picture of this....cannister on your right hip holding down your long hose.....light cord crossing your body over to your left hand????..if this is the case idont see where this is neat and trim. >Big Grin
06-27-2005, 07:08 AM,

Ok Dean, I'll bite.
Your description of the light routing is correct.   The canister on the right, and the  Goodman on the left.   There are several reasons for this.  OOA not blinding your buddy is one.  Your bottom timer/depth gauge is, or should be, on your right wrist, it is pretty difficult to read inside a wreck or someplace dark if you are holding the light in your right hand.  You may argue the SPG is on the left, how do you read it? That is true, however we all know that is the backup SPG and the primary one is between your ears Wink.  You should have a pretty good idea of your air consumption because you know your SAC rate and you've planned the dive.   I try to check my gauge every 5 minutes or so to see that things are going as planned.  If there is an isolator closed or a leak of some sort, you should be able to notice this on your checks, especially if you are deep (Not on Air you strokes! ;D  I know you love that word!).    The 3rd reason I can think of off of the top of my head is that the light will be in the left hand while scootering.   I don't have a scooter, but the idea of DIR is that you build on what you have learned from the beginning, and everything stays the same from day one.    None of the convoluted ideas about having multiple set-ups for wreck diving, deep diving, cave diving, or whatever.

As far as the neat and trim goes, if you are nice and horizontal in the water, and we all are :Smile, that 3/8 cord tight up against your chest will have much less drag than the 18 or so d-rings on the typical convoluted Tech BC.
07-01-2005, 06:01 PM,
im going to have to look at this further...

in an ooa...isnt the proper technique to grab your reg from your mouth by the hose and rotate it to your buddy?..when i do this the back of my right hand and  light head would be  horizontal to my face..thus pointing upward and not directly into my buddies face..even if there was a concern of blinding my buddy in and emergency is there anyone else out there that might think that this would makemore sense than having thelight cord cross your body and possibly raise havoc with one or more of your deco cylinders..we all know that the light cords dont exatly always go or ride right where you want them all of the time...i have to think that this would causesome concern with gas switching..
also..what about the cord interfering with an ooa situation..if i am to donate my 7ft hose...and i have a cordgoing across my body over the top of it..wouldnt that make it a pain in the ass?..i would have to reach  my left arm straight out then pass my 7ft hose under the light cord to allow my buddy to take posession of it...

also is there any mention in the dir philosophy of a dominant or working hand or arm while diving?  ie.  when you are diving with a need for gas switching i have to think that the left hand/arm is the working hand./ arm as it is responsible for gas switches...it is also responsible for monitoring your spg....unless your bottom timer and compass are one the right...then it is responsible for the compass as well.....then we want to throw the light on that hand as well....possibly and over task.....thoughts????????  educate me

deano
07-01-2005, 06:02 PM,
what about the possiblity of finding a routing for the light cord behind that back in some fashion...????....thougts
07-02-2005, 02:18 PM,
OK, there is already to much false information for the time I have this weekend...
1- you cannot learn to dive on the net, get out and dive with someone and see how it is used properly and assimilate or not - final choice is yours.
2- then get out and dive some more....
3- deco bottles and there hose routing is not the only reason for the light can on the right
4- can we just drop the bullshit comments....
5- then get out and dive some more
6- during the dive the light cord is passed under the long hose holding it to the body - hence it will leave the long hose free to pass.
7- During ascent, deco and most gas switches the majority of divers on this board will make your light should be passed back through, clipped off, light cord stowed, and if not needed off.
8- passing and handing off the light to the thumb hold or by temporaliy grasping the top of it will allow you to multi task.
9-If you still haven't assimilated stopping reading message boards and get out and dive some more...
07-02-2005, 05:32 PM,
Can I get an Amen, brother? ;D