Remember me
Lost Password Register

Would you dive with thunderstorms?
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM,
Would you dive with thunderstorms?
This may be a nubie question, but then again, I am one.  Would you dive with thunderstorms in the vicinity?  I'm not talking about during the middle of a downpouring storm, but rather that there's a "threat" of a thunderstorm coming.  Maybe it's not even currently raining, but big, dark clouds all around during a warm, humid summer afternoon kind of thing.  After all, a lot can happen with an hour or so of bottom time.

I know a lot of fishermen wouldn't be caught on the water in a thunderstorm, but wondering about divers.  Also, is your answer different if it's a shore dive versus boat dive?  The electrical engineer in me says that being underwater during lightning is a safe place to be, known as a Faraday cage.

Chad
06-23-2005, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2005, 06:44 AM by Chris H.)
Re: Would you dive with thunderstorms?
Sure, I'd dive in crappy weather.  Especially a shore dive (no boats and storms thank you), and certainly if they were just talking about a chance of storms.   I remember a dive several years ago in Elkhart Lake when it was pouring rain during the dive.  It was really cool to lie on the bottom and watch the rain hit the surface.

The crappiest thing about diving in the rain is getting wet while putting on my drysuit! ;D
06-23-2005, 05:54 PM,
Weather is always a tough call, I have been right and wrong on diving or calling the dive.  Just make your best dissision and live with it.

Bear in mind I gave this advise as one who has been on a boat, stuck by lighting after blowing off several minutes of deco - one of my founder memories of diving in Florida.  And having a few other eventful storm returns to shore on other occasion I will not bore you with.
06-23-2005, 06:37 PM,
I always am more cautious after an experience doing a beach dive a few years ago.  We hit the water on a perfect summer afternoon, but when we surfaced we were surrounded by black clouds and lightning from a pop up thunderstorm.  Looking back on it, we were not that close to the storm but at the time it was quite scary.

06-24-2005, 04:43 AM,
A thunderstorm on lake Michigan accompanied by high winds can ruin your whole day.  I've been caught out there and got hit.  Watching green water wash over the bow after it being calm is not my idea of fun.  If there are thunderstorms in the forecast I'd probably still go.  Forecasters put them in on warm summer days to cover their A**.  Just make sure to keep an eye on the sky.  If you see a purple line of clouds with big thunderheads coming your way, its best to head for shore NOW and dive or fish another day.

Jim
06-24-2005, 06:19 AM,
we've done both sides.  we've gone out when there were storm clouds way off in the distance and had them blow right over,
we've also gone out when the chance of rain was 0% and come up to high waves and rain, eventually starting to thunder.

I wouldn't intentionally go out with a storm coming in, but I wouldn't freak out about a bit of rain either.  It just means you keep your drysuits on until you return to port. Wink

You're really better served watching the radar or the skys than relying on the weathermen (who must have the EASIEST job in the world, you never have to be right, and a computer does most of your work)
06-24-2005, 06:55 AM,
I'd be leery about going out on a boat w/ a threat of a thunderstorm, but not a shore dive.

Last year I was diving a small lake and a torndado came through less than a mile away.  The flashes of lightning underwater were interesting - like a camera flash.

Two years ago I was out at Wazee ending a dive and I couldn't figure out what this weird sound was.  I was near the end of the dive in 10' of water.  I turned around (looking up) and saw the coolest sight of rain hitting the surface of the water.  I dumped all my air and settled into the bottom and watched the effect until my tank was near empty.

I wouldn't intentionally go diving if a thunderstorm were obviously imminent though.
06-24-2005, 06:55 PM,
i tend to err on the side of caution...but this is not to say that..i have not found myself chasing a front that is heading off shore...i have been out chasing such a front with the rain and storm literally. a couple hundred yards ahead of me....i have been on michigan in some pretty nasty waves...and frankly....its just not worth the trip or the dive...when its that difficult to just get back in the boat......i ts just not worth it......take a dive platform off the shoulder once or twice....you too will agree....
happy diving
deano
06-25-2005, 03:19 PM,
I was on a charter boat tied up to the Willy a long time ago and we had another boat tied off of our bow. During our surface intervals, back in the days before computers when they use to last for over an hour, a thunderstorm came up and lightning almost struck the water next to the boats.

I say "almost" because 10' before it hit the water the lightning bolt made a 90 degree turn and went straight sideways to hit the Loran antenna on the boat next to us.  :o A spilt second later the antenna blew apart into a million pieces with shards of fiberglass landing all over our front deck. The poor captain on the other boat lost all of his electronics in the process.  :'(

Sitll one of the freakiest things I've ever seen. Makes you think twice about diving in a thunderstorm. A simple rain storm is no big deal, but when things get nasty there are other things I'de rather be doing. Wink

Jon