Remember me
Lost Password Register

island city
06-16-2005, 03:18 PM,
island city
Has anyone dove the Island City?  What was it like?  I have numbers and get a blip on the sonar on that spot.  I will dive there soon.
07-18-2005, 02:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2005, 02:22 PM by underwateraddict.)
Re: island city
After three attempts to locate this I have all but given up.  Now I have better numbers courtesy of Jerry and will be making a trip up there on a calm day.  I am more confident of these numbers as they are a 1/4 mile from the old ones.  I have noticed this difference between loran lat long vs GPS WS1984 datum lat long.  I am confident this will be yet another visit to a low traffic wrecksite.
07-18-2005, 07:00 PM,
Lets us know,did a 3 hr search off old Jerrys no#s as you have in the past and nothing,looks like the conversions dont work,D_m wish I did not junk that old loran unit.
Brad
07-21-2005, 07:08 PM,
PM sent, Wink with some no#s that look much better than the old ones,give thease a hit and let us know!
Brad
07-23-2005, 02:15 PM,
Jerry provided me with fresh numbers and they are good.  The new numbers had the usual .24 mile difference from the older numbers I had.  GPS and Loran have this error. The wreck was not visible on the 3d sonar and the only hit I could detect was on the 2d mode.  I almost did not dive as I thought I located some rocks.  I dropped the 30 lb navy on the hit and it was too deep for the scooter.  On the way down I saw some rocks come into view and saw my anchor alone on a big wide flat sandy bottom.  I missed the wreck by 50-60’.  The wreck came into view  as I passed over the anchor.  There is no deck and the sides are partially broken and there is a fishnet floating up off of one end.  There is a center board and debris south of the wreck.  This wreck has no mooring very few vistors and it is small.  It's not as good as the northerner but it was better than I expected.