Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone use the Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125?
05-09-2005, 04:01 PM,
Anyone use the Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125?
So I'll cut to the chase...

I'm thinking of adding another flash to my camera setup (currently have a ). I'm thinking of getting a for more power when I attempt to photograph things of higher focal lengths, but I'm not certain how the DS-50 and DS-125 will interact. Anyone have any input?

Gracias...
05-11-2005, 10:19 AM,
Re: Anyone use the Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125?
I currently use a DS125 plus a Nikonos SB105 as my strobe setup. The DS125 is my main light, and the '105 I use as a slave, but at 1/4 power for fill lighting. The DS125 is normally set at 1/2 power, for a couple of reasons.....first, it allows me to shoot as fast as the strobe can recycle, plus it allows me to vary the aperture to avoid blowing out any shots.
What type of camera/housing do you use currently?

Colin.

05-11-2005, 08:42 PM,

I'm using a Ikelite housing with a Canon G-5. It was the only way I could justify the cost of the housing versus the cost of the camera. If I lose the camera at depth, I'm only out a few hundred dollars versus an SLR digital which would be several thousand. I don't work for National Geographic yet!  Wink

IF you have the SB105 as a slave, does that mean you have the DS125 set up on your hotshoe? Unfortunately, I don't think the Canon G-5 supports such a configuration, and thus the basis of some of my questions...

05-12-2005, 10:30 AM,
Yes, I have my 125 running from the hotshoe of my D70....the '105 is set for corless slave operation.

For your setup, the reccommendation to add another strobe is to use the DS Sensor, assuming you already have one Sensor for your DS50. So...you would need to purchase a second DS Sensor along with the DS125 strobe to allow for multiple lighting options.

Good luck!

Colin

08-04-2005, 12:59 PM,
I use twin DS-125's, an Oly C-5050z, Oly housing and Ike twin tray and arms plus a UCLS mount for my Light Cannon (this makes my dive light hands free).

The twin 125's give me full control.  (sold the 50)  Originally I used the 50.  Then I added the 125 as primary and the 50 as "shadow fill" but the fish wouldn't cooperate.  I'm of the old school so I went with the manual controllers on both strobes (and I use Manual and "My Modes" on the camera) but if you're using the Ikelite housing they are TTL capable.  I find the manual controllers really help in providing total lighting control.  I can quickly go from deep blue ambient light backgrounds in the caribbean to great macros with totally BLACK backgrounds in an instant.  As an added bonus, by having twin 125's I have duplicate backups (O rings, modeling light bulbs and chargers).  I use the built in modeling light to speed focus at depth or under (usually "in") alga blooms or on any night dives.

To answer your question, they do work together but there are limitations.  Honostly though, with some thought and planning you can work around almost all of them.  You can find a thorough discussion on this at then click on Forum and do a search.

I could loose the housing and camera but I'd be crying over the loss of my strobes.