Remember me
Lost Password Register

Superior
05-25-2003, 10:50 PM,
Superior
I just got back from a couple days of diving in Lake Superior. I stayed at the Split Rock lighthouse park near Silver Bay, MN, on the "North Shore". My buddy and I dove two shipwrecks -- the Madiera and the Hesper. Both wrecks are accessible via shore. I set a personal record for coldest dive. The water was 36deg on every dive -- from the surface to 125feet. We made three dives on Saturday and one Sunday morning.

These are some of the best shoredives in MN. The scenery is breathtaking.
--Jason
05-26-2003, 09:16 PM,
Re:Superior
I have a friend in Duluth and we hope to dive the Madiera this summer. Really looking forward to this since I have heard that this is a great dive and very interesting at every skill level. Also cold.

Could you give me more information on the location of the Hesper?

Doug
05-26-2003, 09:31 PM,
Picture of me through the Madiera pilot house taken by L. Kunze.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Jason_1.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.75 KB / Downloads: 0)
--Jason
05-26-2003, 09:43 PM,
The Hesper is located outside the breakwall at the Silver Bay marina -- just a couple miles north of the Split Rock lighthouse. The wreck is at about the halfway point on the breakwall. It usually has two markers on it during the Summer. The marina was just redesigned a couple years ago and you can now drive along the breakwall. At the end of the breakwall drive (by the flagpole) you will find a "Diver Access" sign. You can unload your gear, go park your vehicle, and then gear up at that point. The dive itself is easy but the entry/exit can be challenging. You have to climb over the large rocks on the breakwall. Then you have to carefully enter the water. I strongly advise against this entry point if there are any waves. We tried to enter the water with 1-2ft waves on Friday and really had a hard time. Hang on to your gear. We aborted the dive and ended up going on Sunday when there were no waves. The Hesper itself covers a large area in 35ft water. If you go later in the Summer the water should warm up to the low 40's.
--Jason
05-28-2003, 07:14 AM,
Wow! That viz looks pretty good on that wreck...

So when are you heading up there Doug?? ;D
05-28-2003, 02:25 PM,
There is a group from a dive shop in the cities going up the weekend of June 6th. They are providing on-site air and nitrox fills.
--Jason
05-28-2003, 03:03 PM,
Can't make that one...I've got scuba club duties to fulfill =/
05-28-2003, 03:37 PM,
This location has sparked my interest. Where is the closest place to get a tank filled? The fact that both of the wrecks are accessible from shore makes this sound like a great, relatively cheap weekend of wreck diving with no charter fees.
05-28-2003, 06:06 PM,

You can get tank fills from a dive shop in Duluth, MN (45 minutes away). There is also a guy in Silver Bay (5 minutes) that will do air fills from the compressor in his garage (assuming he is available). I don't have his info offhand but I can get it if you really want it. Your best bet is to bring enough tanks for a couple days of diving. I brought five tanks for 2-days of diving. I had to rent a couple tanks but it was worth it.

These are great shore dives with beautiful scenery. Each shore dive presents some interesting physical challanges. Plus you have the cold water to deal with. I was pretty tired after two days.
--Jason
05-28-2003, 09:08 PM,
Thanks for the info Jason. I guess I have almost enough tanks to make it through a weekend. I am definitely putting these on my list of dive locations to try to get to this summer.