Remember me
Lost Password Register

Recommdation for camera/strobe service
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM,
Recommdation for camera/strobe service
NOT!!! Here is the text of a message I sent to SEA&SEA concerning my misadventures over the past few months in getting my camera serviced:

"Last spring (2004) I purchased a used MotorMarine II from a private party.  After several dives over the summer I determined that it was in need of servicing.  After contacting the service centers listed on your website I sent the camera to In Depth Camera, Ft. Collins, CO on 11/19/04.  My letter of transmittal included in the packaging re-stated the problems I had discussed with Craig Evans, In Depth’s service manager, requesting that he contact me after inspecting the camera and provide an estimate for the repairs.  Approximately three weeks later, after not hearing from In Depth, I again contacted Craig.  He provided an estimate for the repairs and stated that he should be able to return the camera around the third week of January.  During the second week of February I sent an email inquiring on the status of the repairs.  I received no response.  On Feb 17 I again contacted Craig via telephone.  He admitted he was behind and offered a variety of excuses – the holidays, family vacation, illness, etc.  Craig promised the camera would be complete by the following week.  On March 7 I again telephoned Craig and inquired on the status of the repair.  Profuse apologies were offered – again – and the promise of the repairs being complete by the end of the week and the camera being back in my possession the following week.  The morning of March 22 I again telephoned and asked Craig where my camera was; he stated he was not in the shop at that time and that he would need to check his records and that he would contact me that afternoon or early the next day.  The next day I received a voice message stating the repairs were complete, the camera would ship that afternoon and that the invoice would reflect a credit for the inconvenience of the additional time.  The invoice included with the camera indicated a substantial discount ($120.00), essentially charging only for parts used and nothing for labor.  I sent In Depth a check for the balance due and considered the matter closed.  On the afternoon of May 16 I received a telephone call from Craig Evans.  He stated that the discount shown was a “typo” and should have been $20.00 rather than $120.00.  I responded that while I had been surprised at the amount shown on the invoice I definitely felt that a discount of only $20.00 was somewhat small for the quality of service I received.  Craig did not seem to understand what I was referring to.  When I reminded him of the numerous phone calls I made, the actual terminology I used was “birddogging the situation”, he responded that I had not really had to do anything to “birddog” him.  I terminated the call, instructing him to bill my credit card (which I had provided to him upon the original repair authorization in December) for the balance he felt was due.  Upon hindsight I should have flatly refused to pay him anything more than what had been presented to me on the invoice which contained his signature.  The above timeline is an accurate account of the events and the actions I needed to take in order to obtain the services promised.  I am quite positive that had I not taken the actions I did that I would still not have my camera in working order.  As I made the initial contact with In Depth based on Sea&Sea’s implied recommendation, they are listed on your website as a “Sea & Sea authorized warranty and service center”, I would respectfully encourage Sea&Sea to review In Depth’s service records and evaluate whether they still comply with your standards of service."  <end message>

A few more notes on this: The invoice listed total parts, labor and shipping of $145.40, less $120.00, balance due $25.40.  I sent a check for $25.40.  Now he says the discount was only supposed to be $20 - fine, whatever.  He charged my credit card $74.60.  Add it up: $145.40-20=$125.40.  $25.40+74.60=$100.00.  ???$125.40=$100.00???  Note that the $74.60 is the amount he charged my card himself to make up the difference for the "typo".  Apparently Mr. Evans has problems operating his calculator!  He'll probably claim another typo and ask for the extra $25!!!!  I don't normally broadcast personal complaints in this manner but this guy supposedly offers "quality service" and has space on the website of a major manufacturer which gives him international exposure and the implied endorsement of that manufacturer.  Hopefully Sea&Sea/TUSA will question him on some of his procedures.
05-18-2005, 12:37 PM,
Re: Recommdation for camera/strobe service
Received this reply today from S&S:

"Thank you for taking the time to relate your service experience with In Depth camera repair.  We do count on the service centers to handle our customers in a courteous and timely manner and I apologize that this was not the case for your situation.  I will contact Mr. Evans and discuss the matter with him.

Best Regards,
Brad Lally
Sea&Sea"

Looks like this is not just a form letter, canned response.  Have to wait and see if anything happens.
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM,
Re: Recommdation for camera/strobe service
Sorry to hear about your customer service fiasco.  If your interested in a good place to send your stuff, I've been using Subaquatic camera repair out of Salinas California.  They have gone through both my nikonos cameras and my strobe.  I have been very pleased with the service there and the people are good to deal with.  Their web address is

Good luck in the future

Jim