Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Waubesa
05-22-2003, 08:46 PM,
Lake Waubesa
I just got out of Lake Waubesa, by Madison, this afternoon.

We had a good day of hunting and sawe a ton of HUGE fish that we couldn't shoot- against the law. There were bass that were easily over 8 pounds and probably closer to 10. They were aming nests in 3' of water. I saw some pretty big northern, musky, and a Tiger Muskey longer than my leg and as big around as my thigh. She was huge.

There were also lots of carp, crappie, blue gill, and perch. The vis had been a solid 10'-15', but it dropped off today to less than 5'. That's why I don't have any underwater picutres posted, but I do have a nice apre' dive shot of my freediving buddy, Ted. Water temp was a solid 64 degrees.

If you plan on divig this lake you need to get in soon. It should get better again in about a week and then go green for the rest of the summer.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Waubesas_catch.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.28 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-23-2003, 01:55 PM,
Re:Lake Waubesa
Very neat. So what fish are legal to hunt with spearguns anyway in Wisconsin? I've always wondered about that one...

My dad gave me his old speargun and I've wanted to try it.
05-23-2003, 02:59 PM,

Jason,

The DNR has a nice little pamphet on the spearfishing rules. I will try to remember to bring it with me. Basically you can spear rough fish, panfish and crappies.

Doug
05-24-2003, 08:10 AM,
Look at that rule book very closely. They change the rules form county to county. SOme of the really nice lakes up north won't let you spear at all. Most of the lakes down south will let you spear rough fish and panfish. One BIG change from last year to this year is Devil's lake. They (DNR) stocked it with trout this year and that means you can no longer spearfish in there.

Also, it's not a law in Wisconsin, but it is considered sportsman like to do all your spearfishing while freediving. Spearing on scuba is like deer hunting with a machine gun. Wink

Jon