Remember me
Lost Password Register

Puerto Rico dive report
04-20-2005, 08:55 AM,
Puerto Rico dive report
Hola everyone,

I had posted some stuff regarding San Juan Islands diving in Washington State, but now we're going to move about 30 degrees south, and about 40 degrees warmer water in sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico. Again, my wife and I went on a small vacation here, and decided to throw in some diving at the last minute. Surprisingly, the diving is better than you'd expect or heard for that region. You can find my posts at the "other" website SCUBA forums:

No photos posted as of yet since I have yet to sort through them....
04-20-2005, 05:47 PM,
Re: Puerto Rico dive report
Do they still sell beer in ten ounce cans down there?  Just curious.

Jim
04-20-2005, 06:25 PM,
If you mean the little 10 oz. can's like Polar beer you find in Bonaire, then I'm sorry... I didn't find those... they do sell the 8oz. bottle of Corona though.

The thing about Puerto Rico is that it is a U.S. territory, which basically means it has all the amenities of the states, but non of the taxes... go figure. That being said, they have all the standard crap beer (sorry if I offend) that they have here.. Miller, Bud, Coors to name a few. Unfortunately nothing dark. Bonaire at least offers Guinnness, Belize has Belican Dark, but Peurto Rico has nothing like that...   :'(

I do recommend the 'El Presidente' however....
04-21-2005, 01:03 PM,
The nice thing about thse little 8 0z bottles was that your beer was gone before it could get warm.  Wink

I dove off of Fajardo and was suprized at the quality of the reefs- much better than I've seen in Roatan, Utila or even Bonaire. It was very lush, but not too many fish where we were. You could even see the Virgin Islands out in the distance.

I was staying in San Juan to attend a wedding and had the chance to dive off the town, not too great, but I understand people find 500 year old cannon balls from time to time out there. Taking the trip to Fajardo was the closest spot to the "good stuff". I heard that it's much nicer down by Ponce and even better on the south east side.

The fact that it's so easy to get to, I've had stop over's there on my way to Curacou, only makes it that much nicer.

We also got up to the rain forrest, El yunque, to swim in the water falls and hike through the forrest. It was a nice trip but the main town was a little bit scary.

Jon