Remember me
Lost Password Register

Shipwreck Adventures Scuba Camp
04-17-2005, 03:32 PM,
Shipwreck Adventures Scuba Camp
I just returned from and outstanding weekend of diving off the Little Alexandria out of Two Rivers.

Saturday greeted us with nice surface conditions, sunny skies, and cold water.  We dove the Vernon two times.    The Vernon is a very cool wreck.  The carving on the bow and the stern are incredible.  The fact that the word "Vernon" is still legible after nearly 120 years is amazing.  The bottom is 196 on this one, I had to go there on the second dive to retrieve my back up bottom timer that I dropped on the first dive.    We did a 15 minute BT on the first dive and 10 on the second.  The lost BTimer says 196 for 99 minutes. Tongue  The second dive was shorter because there isn't quite enough gas in double 80s to make two dives to 190ft with my crappy SAC rate.  I need to get my gangly self in the gym... and get another set of 130s.  The vis was probably 30ft, and there wasn't much for current.  The temp was 39 top to bottom.  We stuck with tables that gave us around 20-25 minutes of deco.  This will be the case until there is a thermocline, or we get really tough.  I suspect the first will happen sooner than the latter.

This morning we were greeted with sunshine and flat water.  If you have a flat display on your computer, turn it sideways and look at the surface of the screen.        With no exageration, that is how smooth Lake Michigan was.  PERFECT!  We did 20 minutes on the Home.  This is a neat little schooner in 170ft.  There is plenty to see including the collision mark on the starboard side of the bow, anchors, and the windless. 

The pool is open.  Get out and dive!
04-18-2005, 04:19 PM,
Re: Shipwreck Adventures Scuba Camp
Sounds like some sweet diving.  A great weekend for it.  Red Granite was flat also and you could even see the third boat.

Doug

05-08-2005, 08:09 PM,
Re: Shipwreck Adventures Scuba Camp
We were back on the Vernon this weekend.  Visibility was in the 50-75ft range.  Fantastic diving.  On the descent, we could see the other divers on the wreck from about 110 ft.  I think the port rail is about 165'  The bow is indeed a work of art.