Remember me
Lost Password Register

Milwaukee 4/9
04-09-2005, 06:27 PM,
Milwaukee 4/9
It was a excellent day for boating and diving this morning.  We meet at 8 am and depart for the Carferry shortly after.  We reached the wreck site shortly and there were no moorings to be seen.  So the grapple was quickly pulled out deployed and set on the first pass ( somedays are easier then others).
The first team of divers enter the warm 39 degree water and were blessed with a good 50 of vis.  During there dive they located the bow line on the bottom and sent it to the surface with a liftbag.  And finished there dive acending up the bow line decompressing and checking the line for wear.
Our Second team enter the water 15 minutes behind the first.  During there dive the reported the mid ship line to be going upward (to a sub float).  At the end of there dive they removed the grapple from the mud and sent it to the surface on a liftbag (to advoid it setting itself again and eay recovery).  Then the completed the dive off a lift bag drif decompressing.
In the meantime we boarded the first few divers and added a new surface float to the bow line.  Then picked up the others divers as the finished there acent and were back in the dock and loaded to go to lunch before noon.  Just another fun day on the Lake, thanks guys.

04-09-2005, 08:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2005, 07:52 AM by matt t..)
Re: Milwaukee 4/9
I had a great dive today with Chris and Todd. Excellent weather and no waves. We did a bottom time of 25 minutes @120 ft. Visibility was excellent and bright (most of the dive it was hard to see the light signals on the deck of the ship because it was so bright). We saw a few burbots and 1 salmon. Due to being one of the first boats on the wreck this spring the mooring lines were un-usable, so I got to practice a lot of the things I learned in my classes a few weeks ago (free ascent, lift bag deployment, etc). Thanks for the ride today Greg  Wink.
04-10-2005, 07:07 PM,
Was a great day on the lake indeed.  Hopefully the flat water and the great vis is a sign of things to come.
04-13-2005, 02:01 PM,
I was out running a race in Milwaukee on that day, but we did get out for a quick shore dive on Sunday off of Bayview- on the Volunteer.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   volunteeremail.jpg_thumb (Size: 12.25 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-13-2005, 05:26 PM,
looks like it was a good dive. what was the viz?

i am thinking of giving it a try on fri or sat. were do you park for it? is there alot of boat traffic in that area? is it bouyed?
04-13-2005, 06:50 PM,
Where is the volunteer?  How far out?  How deep?  How's the viz?
04-13-2005, 08:50 PM,
She's about a 1/4 mile south of the Sebastapol in about 10'-15' of water. There is some wreckage on the outside of the wall as well. Vis was 15'-20' on Sunday, but it can get much better than that. She can be seen from the surface. Park in front of the "Cousin's Center" and hike down the hill to start your swim out- about 3/4 of the way to the break wall.

She's a longer swim than the Sebastapol, but she's also about 4 times as long and at least 2-3 times as wide. Water temp was 46 degrees and I lasted over 2 hours in my (freediving) wetsuit wihtout a problem. I would have dove longer, to try and find more anchors Smile, but had to get home so cut the dive a bit short.

Jon
05-23-2005, 08:13 AM,
I'm glad you didn't find any more anchors!!! I thought I was really out of shape and showing my age as I was running out of gas trying to keep up with the other divers on the underwater swim back to shore. At least till I found I was dragging two big anchors in my dive flag basket... lol.  >Sad