Remember me
Lost Password Register

Public Safety Diving
03-06-2005, 04:30 PM,
Public Safety Diving
Does anybody here get involved with PSD or instruction of it?
03-06-2005, 05:40 PM,
Re: Public Safety Diving
I'm the operations officer of the Jackson County Dive Unit, here in Black River Falls.  We actually had a call-out yesterday.  An elderly gentlemen slipped through the ice in the Black River as he was pushing his boat over ice to get to open water to take advantage of the last few days of walleye season.  Local fire department got him pulled out just before the team arrived.  Also we are gearing up for a really intense 4-day River Rescue Course from the ERDI certification folks.  Should be really interesting.

Andy
03-07-2005, 07:54 AM,
Good to meet you Andy. I'm Mark, from Phelps Fire. Our Dept is now budgeted for and trying to put together a dive team. I carry inst cards for padi and naui and am now thinking of doing a crossover as a psd inst with Lifeguard systems. Do you have any opinions of LGSteam.com?
Also, the team hasnt even started yet and there are differing opinions on training. One thought is, we are certified as padi OW so we are divers and should go into immediate PSD training and become fully operational as a dive team. Another thought (mine) all 6 prospective divers are indeed padi OW certified, though 2 have just done their checkouts last Oct and have not dived since, another 2 were certified a number of years ago as OW but have not been wet in a number of years and never did average more than a few dives a year, another diver has been diving since 1972 and has an old Padi OW II card, he does at least 5-10 local dives a year, has some ice experience, has experience recovering snowmobiles and such, but he can not swim a stroke. My thought is that they all need to do a course review of OW, certify as AOW and Rescue, hopefully DM for those willing and THEN go into PSD training. Any thoughts Andy?  Smile

PS. You must know Capt John Neihart? 
03-07-2005, 08:59 PM,
Mark, I'll email you off the board and give you what we use for yearly certification guidelines for divers and line tenders.  We have approximately 12-14 members involved in the Dive unit here in Jackson County, about 1/4 non-divers, very important for surface support and line tenders.  The other half are divers and have a wide range of diving experience, all at least Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver certified, plus 3 divemasters, and 2 PADI certified instructors.
03-07-2005, 09:30 PM,
Sorry to bust in, but as a semi new diver (50 dives) with a case of advanced years, (Over 40, Busting in on 50) might I say these experience levels or lack of them scare the  be-cheevers out of me!
For the type of diving / service your referring to for your comrades safety and those whom you might serve, you guy's need a lot more experience and training!
  Although you are a "Diver" with credentials your felow divers definitely need to get AOW, Rescue and DM and you and all of the divers need to be able to swim like fish!
You guys might be called on for Ice, Deep or River dives!
As you know these types of dives are not learned as you go!
I'm in the process of exploring some of these endeavors and none should be takes lightly!
All sho!uld be mastered before you offer your services in PSD!
  Please talk to other Skilled Municipalities and get the advanced training and experiences your guy's will need!
   I might need you guy's in the future and I expect the best to be there if I need them / you!
   Good Luck, Dive Safe & Dive Smart!
              Rik O+<
03-09-2005, 07:53 AM,
Thanks Andy, just what I'm looking for. I just received SOG from Chippewa Falls Fire Dist, but there's had nothing about entry level qualifications except OW certified. I'm trying to impress on a few people in my camp the difference between "OW certified" and "Current OW Qualified". Working last few years around the carribean and SE Florida I've seen so many "experienced" divers from midwestern states especially that really can not dive. It's getting to be a big problem for some dive service outfits that they instituted rules that prevent those divers from getting on their boats without doing a refresher and new checkout. But thats another thread. Please Andy, send me anything and everything that you have. I'll send you back my address and phone when I receive your e-mail and maybe we can have some discussions. Hey, would I be able to bribe you to do a small informative speach to the interested divers in our dept? Just to wake them up to the coffee and open thier minds on the subject?

again, Thanks.     
03-09-2005, 08:10 AM,
Hello there Ric o+,
Here I was having a fine discussion and you jump in with insults! Advanced years my butt buddy, I'm in my mid fifties already! So dont go calling ME advanced, I'm still barely over the drinking age here *LOL*
Ok, just giving you some ball busting about refering to a youngster in their 40's as "advanced years" *LOL* belive me, you are going to need a slightly rose shaded pair of glasses as you continue to *cough cough* add candles to your cakes *L*
You are right though. There is more training needed than most people can even comprehend.
There are some differing valid opinions on what Rec training a person is best to have and which are really not for potential PSD trainees. It has to do with abandoning certain Rec methods and replacing them with pertinant PSD methods. As the only one here with an instructors background I'll be making sure that this intended boat goes out with proper attitude or I'll see about shooting a hole in the hull before it leaves port.
I'm glad to talk to a new diver in your "slightly over adolescence" age bracket. Maybe someday we'll get a chance to go anchor hunting. Take care guy and keep the hair wet!

Mark
03-19-2005, 05:49 PM,
Hey guys, I see there is not much discussion going on here. But I found some at MNscuba.com if anybody is interested in this subject. I really wish we had a seperate catagory here. I really dont think anybody will find it under this catagory,,,

Mark
03-20-2005, 07:18 PM,
Down here in Kenosha, we require members to be certified Rescue divers within 1 year of joining.  During this time, they are "work" divers and are used in non-emergency situations.  We also use Lifegaurd Systems for our PSD training courses.