Remember me
Lost Password Register

New BCD from Poseidon?
03-11-2005, 02:17 AM,
New BCD from Poseidon?
A buddy of mine showed me this link yesterday:

Has anyone heard anything about this BCD? Looks interessting...
03-11-2005, 07:16 AM,
Re: New BCD from Poseidon?
I guess we would need to defined "interesting"  To me it is another attempt to add a fake technical kit to the market.  Looks like a climbing back pack, with fixed d-rings, and a lot of plastic buckles.  I'll stick with a SS backplate, with the d-ring positioned for myself, and the wing of choice depending on tank size for my dive.  Just not sure what else to say....  maybe after some more coffee this morning my eyes will open enough to be enlightened.
Greg
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM,
Will this be available in the US?  I think that Poseidon has a strange following here, and I'm not sure the US market is ready for that BC.  The regs and an occasional unisuit are the only things Poseidon that I've ever seen here.  I used the regs for a long time and never had any problems.  However, I don't think that Poseidon has enough presence in the US to sell this weird BCD. 
I used to dive a "tech" BC, and now dive exclusively with a BP/wing.  I think these "tech" BCs have a limited market of people who don't know any better or have a lot of disposable income.  Most people who are recreational divers aren't going to pony up the cash for something like this BCD.  Poseidon is expensive and I'd imagine with the way the $ is doing against the Krone it isn't going to get any cheaper. They will buy whatever they used in class, or rent.  The people who are truely tech diving will dive a BP and a wing because of the simplicity, comfort, and versatility.

This is a good start over here, I'm curious to see what they tell you on "The Deco Stop"

Is Poseidon a cool place to work?
03-11-2005, 08:31 AM,
Looks big and soft enough to maybe inflate it and lay on it in between dives. At least the dump hose is long enough to tuck into the waist belt (to keep it out of the way ;D). I would have to say it looks "over done" like the Mares "Tech" bc's. YMMV......
03-17-2005, 08:02 AM,
The wings actually look kinda nice.  And you can get a standard backplate from them.  It would be neat to see some in person.

They are going to be unveiled in the US - they are going to have their official US premier this weekend at the "Beneath The Sea" show in New Jersey this weekend.
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM,
I haven't actually seen one of these wings in person, but I did see a pricelist :o  For most of them, dealer cost was more than any of the Halcyon rigs.    One of them had a MSRP of around $1200 if I recall correctly.
06-14-2005, 04:32 PM,
$1200 will buy you a LOT of 2" webbing! ;D

I think I'll keep my bp/w and pass on the HUGE BCD