Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Michigan Trip Report
05-15-2003, 10:50 AM,
Re:Lake Michigan Trip Report
Granted, the bar may not have been the best idea - I was being corrupted by Kim and Tina, what can I say!

However, I do know my wrecks! If you look in the Great Lakes Diving Guide, there is a "Steel Barge" listed in the book, not far from the E.R. Steve was saying that they usually go to it on the Mothers Day Run, but the weather didn't allow it this year.

I know about that Dredge 906 too...that would be another fun one.
05-15-2003, 11:42 AM,
Have you done the Frank O Connor?
05-15-2003, 12:26 PM,
Yeah! That was another fun shipwreck.

Some of the people I dove it with weren't too impressed - they are more fans of the intact, penetrable wrecks. I still thought it was an awesome wreck though...the propellor was really neat, and the swim along the ship from stern to bow was a lot of fun. All kinds of cool tools to look at...I thought it was a fun wreck. The boilers and steam engine were definitely a blast too.

We were thinking of maybe diving that one as well, but the weather was stopping us from diving a lot of what we wanted to dive.
05-15-2003, 02:44 PM,
Yup Chris, Jason got you on that one. There is a Roen Steam barge over in that area that is pretty similar to the 906 from the pic's that I have seen. Looked like a pretty cool dive
05-15-2003, 03:18 PM,
OK. Jason, I'm sorry. Why aren't you coming to dive on Memorial Day weekend?
05-15-2003, 03:34 PM,
No worries Chris ;D

I'm not coming on Memorial Day because my budget says no =/ I've heard it should be fun...but...ah well.
07-04-2003, 05:03 PM,

Went diving on the Frank O Connor on July 3rd. The visibility was very good and the diving conditions were great. Swam the length of the ship twice and had a good look at everything.

I buddy-upped with Jason Baker and will post the best pictures here. I took a raft of pictures.

THe wrecks were great and plenty of fish to watch also.

A nice day for diving.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Jason_Baker_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-Mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.15 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-04-2003, 05:05 PM,
Another Frank o Conor picture

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Jason_Baker_-_4_-_Enhanced_-_e-Mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.22 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-04-2003, 05:07 PM,
One last shot. Enjoyed the trip a lot.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Jason_Baker_-_11_-_Enhanced_-_e-Mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 29 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-06-2003, 08:06 PM,
Doug, thanks for posting the pictures.

We had a great trip. Captain Jim and the Shoreline folks really do a nice job with this charter. The surface and water conditions were super. I am anxious to see some of the other northern Door County wrecks in the future.

I look forward to our next meeting!
--Jason