Remember me
Lost Password Register

cave diving show
03-01-2005, 08:18 PM,
cave diving show
I just got done watching a Expedition to the edge on the National Geographic Channel. It was about a "record setting" cave dive in New Zealand. A group of divers were diving in the Pierce Resurgance. They were going to 250'...on air! They didn't use tri-mix because they didn't have the finances to ues it, they would have had to fly the mix in because the in the middle of nowhere. One guy ended up buying the farm at about 280' and it was 18 months before anybody recovered the body....on mix. Even the navy wouldn't go after him because it was too dangerous. Goes to prove bad things happen to stupid people.
Jason
03-01-2005, 09:23 PM,
Re: cave diving show
What led to the death (other than the obvious drowning)? Narc'd, bad decision, panic, entanglement?
--Jason
03-02-2005, 07:52 AM,
It appears as though the general consensus has been poor equipment and gas decisions (deep air) leading to problems in 250+ feet of water leading to exertion, thereby causing an excessive buildup of carbon dioxide subsequently causing a syncopal episode followed by drowning.

Here is an in depth write up on the details by the buddy of the deceased diver.

Deep air is not worth the risk.......
03-02-2005, 08:09 AM,
Interesting write up.  Thanks for the link.
03-02-2005, 09:07 PM,
I saw this special also.  These guys really pushed it.

Been reading the book "Shadow Diver".  It is really good. 

If you like wrecks, well worth getting a copy.

Doug

03-03-2005, 09:18 AM,
Is "Shadow Diver" another copy of "The Last Dive"?
I don't mean that in an insulting way, just curious.
Rick~~~
03-03-2005, 09:56 AM,
Shadow Divers is a book about the discovery and identification of a U-Boat found off the coast of New Jersey.  It centers around John Chatterton and Richie Kohler from Deep Sea Detectives fame.

The Last Dive is about Chris and Chrissy Rouse.  They were a father/son dive pair who died during exploration of that same U-boat with Chatterton and Kohler.

They are both very good books.  They do intermingle with some conflicting information surrounding the Rouses deaths.  I think Shadow Divers is the better of the two.
03-03-2005, 10:48 AM,
Shadow Divers is a great book.  The Last Dive is pretty good too, but I thought Shadow Divers was better.
03-05-2005, 08:13 AM,
Shadow Divers is a must read for any Rec interested person.
It sheds insight on how difficult it is to identify shipwrecks as historical information is at time lacking, mis-leading and at times inaccurate!
This book has much to offer old and new divers.
For a newer diver it sheds a lot of real life examples of how some decisions can become major decisions
It also gives some insight to gas usages
I would like to read my copy again but it's being enjoyed by a few of my friends!
        Hey guy's give it back before christmas, please!

Rik O+<

06-29-2005, 09:33 AM,
I too liked Shadow Divers a little better.  I'm reading Deep Descent now.  Just started it so no thoughts yet.

An interesting link:

Tol