Remember me
Lost Password Register

Blue Springs State Park
02-16-2005, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2005, 09:02 PM by Cavern Junkie.)
Blue Springs State Park
On 16 Feb I met up with Pink Fins and her husband and dive buddies to dive Blue Springs State Park in Orange City, Florida They were staying all week in north Florida, but I was only able to meet up with them for one day. 

We met up at the ranger station and were assigned our groups.  They split divers up into groups to make sure only cavern certified and above will be carrying lights into the spring.  After walking around the spring we decided to hit the water.  Luckily Pink Fins had brought a dolly to wheel our tanks down the boardwalk to the water.  After gearing up, we started wading up the spring run to the main spring.  The current in the run was quite strong and made getting to the spring somewhat difficult.  Once we got to the spring, my buddy and I headed for the bottom, but my buddy was weighted neutral and the force of the water kept him from getting much below 70 feet.  I had a steel tank, so I was heavy enough to drop in the current, which I did to 100 feet, but I turned around there because I did not want to be any further from my buddy.  Pink Fins and her husband were having similiar problems up above and stayed above 30 feet for their dive.  On the way up, we checked out a few crevices and the swim through in the spring, then headed up to the surface.

Max depth 98 feet, total bottom time approx. 25 min.