Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cave Diving Fatality
01-09-2005, 12:21 PM,
Re:Cave Diving Fatality
I would definitely agree w/ what you said Paul. This is one of those that was truly, truly needless.
01-09-2005, 06:41 PM,
What's not clear to me is if the diver that died was cave certified. The article says he was doing deep dive training. Did he just decide to tag along with the other guys when they entered the cave?
--Jason
01-09-2005, 06:55 PM,
He was cavern certified. That's what really boggles the mind - they repeatedly stress limitations during the class. They tell dozens of stories of people that exceeded their training and didn't make it. The biggest part of cavern class is educating people what they CAN'T do, instead of teaching them what they can. You learn the fundamentals - gear config, finning, trim, courtesy, etc - and then they hammer into you that you should NEVER EVER exceed your training. But I guess it sometimes it just doesn't stick =(
01-09-2005, 11:49 PM,
Unbelieveable. That guy was plain stark crazy. Next thing you know we will find out they were all on air.

I hope that instructor has good insurance. I don't know of any instructors that would be surprised to find an uncertified student with them in a cave at 185ft deep. Shocked, pissed, livid, immediately-calling-the-dive,.... but surprised ???
--Jason
01-10-2005, 04:17 PM,
Honestly....I'm not surprised. I feel bad for the families affected Sad
01-10-2005, 08:08 PM,
We Are Human.
So were they!
Hind Sight Is 20-20!
He Made A Mistake, So Did His Partners / Buddies!
He died doing what he loved!
I hope to do the same!
We all are full of faults:
Death comes to us all!
Better this than, Cancer, Ect...
Live Today as if Tomorrow is gone..
And yesterday is a memory gone by!

Rik O+<