Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR Spring Straps
05-04-2003, 04:29 PM,
DIR Spring Straps
Spent a good portion of the afternoon messing around in the garage making some DIR straps for my new Turtle Fins. They turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. ;D If anyone is going to attempt to make these, I recommend using a spring that is shorter than 11" like mentioned on some of the DIY sites. I think these will work really well for me, but I have size 14 boots on my Typhoon suit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   104_0479.JPG_thumb (Size: 35.2 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-04-2003, 05:12 PM,
Re:DIR Spring Straps
hey Chris,
Those look great. What did you use for the barrel where the spring loop is connected to body of the fin? I used sculped hockey pucks cut down. They work well and fit great but are a MESS to make. Also, did you find a local source for stainless steel springs? I am going to be making another pair for my turtles (first pair was for my jets) and am looking for an easier mount for the springs.
thanks
scubert
05-04-2003, 08:12 PM,
The barrels are 3/4" Delrin. I used a drill press to get the holes in there and that stuff is hard. All of the parts are from McMaster Carr. They have a warehouse in Chicago, and nearly anything you order will be there the next day in Milwaukee. I bought a 5ft section, which was the smallest piece they would sell. If you need a few inches we could probably work something out.
05-04-2003, 08:29 PM,
Thanks for the lead. Maybe we can work something out on the delrin Smile
I'm thinking about machining my own finger-spools.
I've got one already, but it's not as heavy duty as I'd like.
It's already got a crack in it from where one of the guys on the LenDer set my tank down on it Sad
Perhaps we can work an exchange if you need a spool.
05-04-2003, 09:57 PM,
Well Chris, now I definitely know that those 11" springs will be too long. I stuck my feet (with dive socks on) in my drysuit boots and adjusted the strap on my fins. I pulled them off and did a quick measurement and it looks like I will be taking around 2" off the spring (for size 10.5 boot) before mounting, and that is for a relatively loose fit compared to my old fins. Now I have to find the time to get them ready before Door County this weekend.

Todd
05-07-2003, 10:25 AM,
I dove this set up for the fist time last night. The spring straps work great and the fins fit well too. However, the fins may be a bit soft for my tastes. I'm not sure if they were so comfortable that I didn't even realize they were there, or that they are just so flexible, I might as well just tried to dive without them on. ??? I'm not going to throw them away yet, but so far I'm not overly impressed.
05-07-2003, 09:11 PM,
Give them a couple dives Chris. I wasn't impressed the first time I tried them either. You may have to adjust your kicks slightly to get the power you expect.
--Jason
05-07-2003, 10:07 PM,
Yeah Chris, Hang in there.
I prefer the stiffer jetfins to the turtles, but they are still great fins.
They just take a bit of getting used to. Smile
05-08-2003, 07:03 AM,

Yeah, I was trying all sorts of kicks on the dive and some definitely seemed to work better than others. I guess it was just weird to have to think about kicking again. I'm certainly going to give the Turtles another chance. It may end up that I use them for my regular leisurely dives, but if I'm ever doing any Divemaster duties and need to chase after students I'll wear my other fins. Anyone else notice those beginner divers go like a bat of hell?
05-08-2003, 02:13 PM,
Have you dumped your ankle weights yet? That is one off the main benefits of turtle and jet fins. they are cheaper than most other fins and you don't need ankle weights so you save even more money.

IF you teach youyr students proper finning, frog kicking and other non-silting techniques, you shouldn't have a problem keeping up with them. If they ONLY know how to flutter kick they will mess up the bottom.

Jon