Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hi
12-16-2004, 06:57 AM,
Hi
Just thought that I would introduce myself to you. My name is Mike and I am from the UK.

Why the interest in Wisconsin Scuba ? - well my Brother-in-law lives in Wisconsin and I have visited a couple of times now and also have a very keen interest in Scuba. I dive with BS-AC at home and we regularly dive in the North Sea and English Channel as well as the occasional holiday to the Egyptian Red Sea or the Med. Wrecks are my favorite type of dive and am currently certified to 50m. Hope to be doing Trimix certification later next year so may be able to extend that depth.

Is diving available for visitors to Wisconsin and if so what gear would I be better off bringing with me?

Regards

Mike
12-16-2004, 10:24 AM,
Re:Hi
You can definitely dive in Wisconsin as a visitor.

If you enjoy wrecks, you NEED to dive the great lakes wrecks. Some of the most beautiful, most preserved wrecks in the world. Our cold freshwater keeps the wrecks in amazing conditions.

For most diving in Wisconsin/Great Lakes, cold water gear is recommended. Drysuits, good regs, and good lights. Wetsuits can be used in the summer months, but it does stay chilly in the great lakes.

12-16-2004, 08:14 PM,
We also have a few exceptional quarries to dive and plenty of lakes. But to match your interests, the Great Lakes wrecks would be a real treat. A number are listed on this site with a lot of good suggestions on where to go and what to see.

Any good internet search will give you more choices than you can deal with.

Jason is right, cold water gear is needed to really enjoy the local diving.

If you come this way, let us know. Can send a private e-mail and I am sure we can help you with contacts and places to go.

I get to the UK 1 to 2 times a year, have to make a point of setting up a dive on one of these trips.

Doug

A little example of the home town diving.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Figurehead_-_5_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.82 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-23-2004, 10:30 AM,
Many thanks for the information Jason and Doug. I will certainly check out the internet links.

Dry suits etc are standard gear here in the UK, although you can sometimes see a few hardy types or beginners wearing semi-dry suits. The big problem is packing a dry suit and keeping within the airline weight allowance.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May all your diving be safe and enjoyable.

Regards

Mike