Remember me
Lost Password Register

Florida diving
12-10-2004, 08:04 AM,
Florida diving
Just posted something on a buddy and I going to Florida in the photo section but probably should be here. Will be down there around Valentines day.

Does anyone know anything about Madison Blue or Vortex ?

Buddy and I are cavern certified and have dove Paradise, Ginnie, Royal, Blue Grotto, and Devils Den.

He was trained at Ginnie. I was trained at Orange, Peacock 1 and 3.

Looking for some new area to dive while down there
gail

12-10-2004, 04:18 PM,
Re:Florida diving
The site with the most information I have found is

Sorry, but I have never been to Vortex or Madison Blue.
12-10-2004, 07:12 PM,
I know that Jean just moved down to florida for awhile. She can probably point you to some good spots and even join you for a couple dives.

Jean, you around?
--Jason
12-11-2004, 02:13 PM,
If you are looking for something new you might want to stop by Blue Springs State Park near Orange City. I think it is a very cool dive with depths to 130 feet. And it is in a state park, so it only costs $5 to get in!
12-12-2004, 07:51 AM,
Cavern Junkie- was over by my buddys talking florida and we wondered what blue springs could bring us.
thanks for the tip

gail
12-12-2004, 01:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2004, 01:52 PM by Cavern Junkie.)
According to the website below, almost 150 million gallons of water flow out of the spring per day. Needless to say, the flow at the restriction at the bottom is very intense.

The parking lot is a long ways from the spring, so be prepared to carry your tanks and other gear quite a ways.

There are often manatees in the spring in the winter time.

The spring drops almost straight down to 60 feet and it is common to see people free diving there.

You must have at least a Cavern certification to carry lights in the spring.

The spring "run" is an excellent spot to snorkel and see lots of freshwater fish in the clear spring water.

There is a campground on the state park, but I have never seen it, so I can't say if it is a nice place to camp.

12-12-2004, 08:15 PM,
There is no way to be sure if the manatees will be in the spring or not. Since the spring water is 72 degrees year round, manatees are only attracted to the "warmer" water in the winter, and even then not every day. I have never seen it, but I hear that the park rangers are VERY protective of the manatees. If they see you "interfere" with them they will kick you out of the park and confiscate your dive gear!
01-24-2005, 11:01 AM,
Re: Florida diving
Hey, I just stated on this website and seen your question.  Vortex is a cool place.  It has a very large cavern zone with depths to about 120 ft. at the grate they have in place.  As for Madison Blue, it might be open, but then again maybe not.  Contact the Dive Outpost at 386-776-1449 and talk to Cathy.  Why don't you try diving Cow or Telford or possibly Little River if you are in the Suwannee county area.  All have smaller cavern zones but are still fun to dive.

Steve
"Every Good Diver Always Lives"