Remember me
Lost Password Register

Custom Mouthpieces and OOA Situations
12-06-2004, 05:32 PM,
Custom Mouthpieces and OOA Situations
[quote='dfreeman link' dateline='1093962034']
What do I think about Poseidons? I liked my Odin Jetstream a lot, except for the mouthpiece which was hard to jam into my mouth. I put a moldable mouthpiece (SeaCure) on and took care of the problem. The connection was not designed for a standard moldable mouthpiece.
What about the problem this creates for the guy you donate the long hose to? Assuming you would donate you custom mouthpiece to a OOG team member. This topic could probably hold its own thread, but noticed this today, and it should be given some consideration.[/quote]
12-06-2004, 06:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2004, 06:12 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Re:Opinions on Poseidons
I think you'd have to have a pretty unusual mouth/piece for anyone in an OOG situation not to be able to breathe off your reg..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   791985.1.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.33 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM,
It's not about just being able to breath.... It could take a bit more then that to get control of the event and exit safely.
12-06-2004, 07:03 PM,
That is a hilarious photo!
12-06-2004, 07:10 PM,

Jason,
Although I agree the photo is funny, I think Greg brought up an interesting point about team members with different custom mouthpieces and possible issues caused by it in different situations. Why don't you split the thread into a new one about the mouthpiece?

I have never seen a SeaCure mouthpiece in person, but the picture I just saw on the net looked like it was very long. My guess would be that you might be able to get air from it in a OOA situation, but it is possible that it wouldn't fit in the OOA diver's mouth properly and wet breathe or possibly even cause a gag reflex. Talk about calming an OOA situation...

Chris
12-06-2004, 07:15 PM,
Re:Custom Mouthpieces and OOA Situations
Thread has been split - looking forward to hearing opinions on these mouthpieces.
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM,
Before I went to a long hose arrangement, I had an out of air emergency occur. A little background, at the time I was diving with a pair of Posiedon JetStream/Odin regulators. The secondary that I had in my mouth had a SeaCure mouthpiece, in fact the one referenced at the beginning of this tread. The Octopus had a conventional mouthpiece.

In Lake Wazee, my buddy had a massive freeflow at 100 feet. He signaled me but before I recognized what was going on he turned and headed upward at a normal ascent pace.

He got to the 70 foot mark when his tank went empty. I was there to give him the octopus. He had some sort of problem with the octopus. With eyes as big as saucers, he grabbed my regulator out of my mouth, SeaCure and all. He had absolutly no problem getting it in his mouth and started breathing.

He had absolutly no problem using the regulator with the Sea Cure. This is one of the reasons that I went to the long hose. This and other out of air emergencies convinced me that they were going to grab my regulator out of my mouth anyway, I may as well have the octopus ready just under my chin.

This is my observation.

Doug
12-06-2004, 09:10 PM,
On my first dive in Mexico, I did the standard "Pool Course" and I noticed that the instructor had a very long custom mouth piece.
I asked him about it and he stated it serves two purposes, one its more comfortable and two its harder for panicked divers to yank it out of his mouth. I asked him if it worked and he said they still yank it from his mouth but it gives him more of a warning!
He let me try it and I found it more comfortable then the standard regs and even with my [glow=red,2,300]half hour of pool experiance I had no trouble breathing from it![/glow] 8)
In other words if someone would have trouble using a buddies it would most likely be from panick and I doubt if a mouth piece would have much to do about it.
Rik O+<
12-07-2004, 10:20 AM,
What was the problem with the octopus?
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM,
I never gave my mouthpiece much thought until I did the liveaboard trip this past Summer. After several days of diving my teeth began to ache. I had to place the mouthpiece just right in my mouth to alleviate the pressure on my teeth. If I were a divemaster working every day I would definitely look for the most comfortable solution.

I see this as an issue -- but not a big issue. It goes back to knowing your buddy and practicing the drills.
--Jason