Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wolf River
12-05-2004, 05:03 PM,
Wolf River
We dove the Wolf River in Shiocton today. Right behind the River Rail bar/restaurant.

Water temps were a balmy 32/33 degrees. Viz was 2-5 feet. It was a good dive overall. Lots of neat anchor ice formed on the logs and metal stuff. There were "carpets of carp" present, which was pretty neat. I didn't get to see any sturgeon, but some of our group found a couple.

A fun day of diving - it's always an interesting dive out there - if you ever get the chance to do it, it's worth it. But, do use caution as it's a very advanced dive - dark, ridiculously cold, entanglements everywhere and current. But it can be a very entertaining dive!

Hopefully Doug should be posting some pictures from the dive. Check out the Poseidon thread in the equipment discussions to see what a reg looks like after a half hour in freezing temperature waters.
12-09-2004, 09:58 PM,
Re:Wolf River
Diving was great in the Wolf river but a bit of a challenge. Visibility being tight made pictures a difficult but I got a few. Here is a carp. With the visibility I could not get more than a head or so. Plenty of stuff in the water, but took the shot anyway.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Carp_-_4_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-09-2004, 10:00 PM,
This rock bass was tuked away watching the fun.

.jpg_thumb   Rock_Bass_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.3 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-09-2004, 10:18 PM,
The picture that I missed was on the second dive where we drifted the river from the boat landing to the River Rail Bar. Did not bring the camera since I had not done this before. We did see a 6 inch long baby sturgeon just hanging out at the bottom of the rive. Cutest thing that you have ever seen. Maybe next time.

One this that was all over the place was anchor ice. This is ice that forms on surfaces at the bottom of rivers under the right conditions. It was just everywhere. Here is a picture of anchor ice. It is the mass that is above the board. These are long crystals of ice with silt mixed in from the current. Anchor ice was 4 inches thick on some items. Really different.

Great diving in the river.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Anchor_Ice_-_2_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.76 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-03-2006, 10:42 PM,
Re: Wolf River
Spent a good dive in the Wolf River at Shiocton on Saturday.  Went in behind the bar and into the hole.  An amazing carpet of catfish were in the bottom of the hole, literally 3 deep and stuffed in like sardines.  In the midst of the catfish were several sturgeon, a couple of 4-6 footers and a big guy that was a least 7 foot.  Was able to find a spot in the hole to hold onto a submerged branch and just let the fish gather around,  Pretty neat hanging in the current like a flag, watching the big catfish and sturgeon swim near by.  The big light helps in this location

Found under one of the sturgeon a baby sturgeon about a foot long.  This little guy is just amazing looking.  You really get a feel for the ancient look of these fish when they are small.  Probably the best sight of the dive.  For an example of this, check the most recent issue of Wisconsin Natural Resources Magazine.  This was really neat to see.  Would have liked to have the camera with, but with this current it is not fun bringing the camera.

Found another spot with a lot of large bullheads.  These guys were huge.  Even found a nice walleye in the pile.  Plenty of strange farm equipment to see and other stuff.

Depending on the weather, the Wolf may be open next weekend also.  Perhaps time for another dive?  Anyone interested?  This one was amazing.

Get out and dive, the conditions are great and there is no off season for diving in Wisconsin.

Doug
12-04-2006, 09:34 AM,
That is still one of my favorite dives...
I would think the subfeezing temps will have ice on that section of river in no time.  Was there any ice, Doug?
12-04-2006, 06:59 PM,

There was no ice what so ever.  Which was a real surprise.  Whether it stays open will depend on this weeks weather.

No ice at all at Lake Wazee also, but you may have guessed this from the 42 deg F tempurature.

Doug
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM,
I would be willing to go again if I can make my dry gloves dry. Having cold hands that don't work like they are supposed to makes diving a struggle
Let me know your plan. Sat sounds nice>

Jason
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM,
Any other brave souls?

Doug
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM,
Which day?  It is an even longer drive for me now...