New to this board and wanted to share my scuba diving quest with all of you
01-19-2005, 04:42 PM,
My latest news article
Posted on Tue, Jan. 18, 2005

Donations assisting man with dream dive

Due to muscular dystrophy, he needs special ventilator to scuba dive

BY NANCY YANG

Pioneer Press

Matt Johnston, a Woodbury man who wants to go scuba diving despite his Duchenne muscular dystrophy, has been attracting donors from across the country since publicizing his dream.
Last month, he began accepting donations via his Web site to help pay for his diving quest. As of this week, he has collected nearly $1,500.
"It's been amazing," Johnston said.
Johnston is on a ventilator 24 hours a day and would need an underwater-capable one in order to dive. That type of ventilator hasn't been fully developed yet, and Johnston predicts he will need to raise at least $200,000 for preliminary engineering research and design.
One of Johnston's most recent donations comes from Ed and Liz Ginocchio of Mystic Island, N.J. The part-time residents of Bonaire Island in the southern Caribbean and owners of the Golden Reef Inn there said they will give Johnston and any medical or diving personnel with him one week's worth of free lodging, should he ever do a dive there. The Ginocchios are members of an online scuba-diving forum, of which Johnston is also a member.
"He deserves every chance possible," Liz Ginocchio said. "And if we can make someone else's dream come true, that's absolutely wonderful."
Johnston is still working on other ways to raise money. Last week he began selling merchandise at , an online marketplace.
He is selling custom-made T-shirts, sweatshirts, tank tops and polo shirts featuring his diving dream logo. A percentage of the sales will go toward the project, and Johnston said he also would like diving stores to sell the shirts. Those interested in purchasing the shirts should type "Matt Johnston" into the search area.
Johnston said he also anticipates selling baseball caps and other merchandise that can display his logo.
For more information about Johnston, visit or
01-20-2005, 11:28 AM,
Re:Please help
Hi Paul, Thanks for nice message. I have already been in contact with diveheart. They are in the loop but they said they can't really help right now as this is over their heads.

The only way to get this done is my project.

I have people from MIT and URI involved with my project. If I can get enough funding then the project will start moving much faster.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Matt
01-26-2005, 04:44 PM,
Re: New to this board and wanted to share my scuba diving quest with all of you
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to send everyone the link to a part of my web site where you can download my flyers I designed. You can hand them out, post 'em in your dive shop, whatever you would like! The more publicity the better!
Take care everyone and safe diving as always.
-Matt- ;D