Remember me
Lost Password Register

Flynn Quarry
04-29-2003, 03:27 PM,
Flynn Quarry
hi everyone!

i am new to this board. i actually just found it a week or so ago and am wishing i had found it a lot earlier. i already have found some great new places to dive this summer. anyways i was wondering if any of you guys/gals have heard of Flynn Quarry? i heard that they have fresh water jelly fish there. i saw it on the madison college dive club web page. anyone know were this quarry is?

one more thing. i m looking to buy a kayak for diving. were did you guys buy yours and what kind? i havent looked to much into it yet?

raveon1
04-29-2003, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2003, 03:35 PM by Chris H.)
Re:Flynn Quarry
I have dove there in the past with the jellyfish. They are VERY cool. However, they aren't there all the time. Did you see a recent post about them? They have a very short life cycle and aren't around for long. Not 100% on the directions, but I think it is on Cumberland Road between E and EE south of Red Granite. The Gazetteer shows a quarry symbol on the map, but no water. There are also a few cars at Flynns if the jellyfish aren't there.
04-29-2003, 05:37 PM,
try this link:

divewisconsin.net/locations/central/flynns/flynns.html
04-29-2003, 06:31 PM,
I had you within a mile of the place Tongue
04-29-2003, 06:40 PM,
thanks for the directions and link. anyone know what the life span of the jelly fish are? what time of the year are they there and what are the location of the cars in the quarry? i am planing on heading up there this summer and diving pearl lake, red granite, and flynns quarry. any other nice dive sites in that area? i also dont rember there being and place to get air fills close by red granite.
04-29-2003, 07:57 PM,
Once upon a time, the bar across the street from the diner, at Red Grantie Quarry, had a compressor in the back. I am not usre if it is still there.

I though that the jellyfish had a life span under a couple of weeks- very short lived.

Jon
04-29-2003, 08:26 PM,
Freshwater jellies active cycle is usually late july-mid august. They are usually only around for about 2 weeks. I've never seen them myself but have read a number of articles on them. I was really bummed that I missed them last year at Red Granite. Apparently they are not necessarily an annual even, the conditions have to be right for them to appear.
04-30-2003, 10:19 PM,
Every time that I have seen them it has been late September into October (had to dig back into the ol logbook). If you are not looking for them you might not see them. At first they look like suspended particulate. When you look closer you can see that they are about the size of a penny (average) and translucent. I have never seen them at the Red Granite quarry only at Flynns Quarry. Definitely something for every Wisconsin diver to see at least once.

Todd
04-30-2003, 10:32 PM,
looking back at my old articles you are right, I was a whole month off! :o Thanks for checking your logbook, I'd hate to miss them again this year.
05-01-2003, 11:17 PM,
I have seen the fresh water jelly fish in Red Granite and Flynn's Quarry. Mostly likely time is in October. They were Penny size in Flynn's and quarter to half dollar size in Red Granite. I got into a "school" of 20-40 in Red Granite and it was very neat. They are white and translucent, with a disk shape like a moon jellyfish but much smaller. I saw them in both quarrys at modest depth (<20 feet) on both day and night dives last fall.

This is a real treat, not to be missed.

Do not know of anyplace that has air in the area. Closest that I know of are DivePoint Scuba in Stevens Point

and Precision Sports in Oshkosh.

Check out

for more details on these locations and directions.

Doug