Remember me
Lost Password Register

What BC for drysuit?
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM,
Re:What BC for drysuit?
'nuther question: What size wing would be recommended for a single tank with a AL30 pony strapped to it? Capt.Dean mentioned Dive Rite rec, which is 51 lbs. The Venture is 30lbs, but no doubles. The Trek is 40, and doubles. I'm not sure I will ever dive doubles, and not sure if the 30 pony counts as a small double or not. Doesn't seem like any ($20) price difference between the 3. Yes, I could ask the LDS, but they aren't a Dive Rite rep. Nearest one is 45 miles away.
11-02-2004, 09:19 AM,
I have a Rec wing I may be interested in selling You can PM me if you are interested. It has no tug dump, a shorter hose, and a Halcyon SS inflator on it. I have used it with a single E8-130 and a Faber 95, but I now dive doubles exclusively. I have used it with LP steel double 80s and double E8-130s. The reason I'm considering a different wing is because the inflator exits on the left shoulder. On a wing specifically for doubles, which is all I dive now, the inflator exits the wing in the center on top, which is between the tanks. It has been my experience that there is some issues with clearance on the left shoulder with the wreck wing and doubles in some cases. Your mileage may vary.

Since we're on the subject, please don't put your pony bottle on your back. It is much more useful if it is slung on your left side. You can easily reach the valve, and if you have an OOA buddy, you can unclip the bottle and give it to them. This will also transfer to more advanced diving if you choose that path.
11-02-2004, 09:42 AM,
Here are some great links for setting up a pony bottle - I used these to set up my deco tanks:

(This second link was the one I used the most)

These guys are good for reading up on how to set up a lot of gear too:

11-02-2004, 06:11 PM,

Doug I did a liveaboard this summer with my SS backplate and wing. One word: awesome. I wore a full 3mm and did not wear any weights. It was simply perfect.

The one catch is that you need to adjust the harness a bit. It took me a couple dives to get the harness dialed in. Next time I will just use a separate backplate+harness that is dedicated to warm water trips. My 36lb halcyon wing was overkill as well. I could have easily used a 27 or 18. My wing was still smaller than a couple of the BCs on the boat. I expected to be the only guy on the trip with a backplate. But I discovered that the DM and Captain were both diving backplates. That tells you something...
[/quote]

Great feedback Jason. I expected to have to spend some time adjusting the straps until I get it nice and snug. But the Bahamas in January will require some 7mm gear if not the whole long john and shorty. In 2003, you would have thought my son was diving in Lake Wazee in May. But doing all of those dives makes a difference and it was cold.

My Sherwood Outback and my Current rig use basically the same bladder, so I have learned to adjust.

Interesting that the DM and Captain were using backplates.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Sea_Garden_Josh_-_3_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-02-2004, 06:25 PM,

Chris is right on on this. The Rec wing would do you well. That is what I use with my single. THe boys have not got me to go to doubles yet.

Chris is also right on when talking about pony bottles. Sling is the way to go.

Hope this helps you

Doug
11-04-2004, 12:54 PM,

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To correct the relevant posts here, if you are not affiliated with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, you will have to become a member of the Union prior to joining any Hoofers () club, including Hoofer SCUBA.

Memorial Union membership information can be found at .

Thank you. Hope to see some of you!