Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fiji Trip Report
10-29-2004, 11:31 AM,
Fiji Trip Report
Back from Beqa Lagoon, Fiji....Marlin Bay Resort (now called Beqa Lagoon Resort)

10 1/2 hours direct flight from LAX to Nadi, Fiji. From there we took a bus ride to Pacific Harbor for the 30 minute crossing to the island of Beqa (pronounced "benga"), where the resort was located. The staff was waiting for us on the beach, where we were greeted by the singing of Fijian songs. Very welcoming. In fact, many of the staff remembered me and my girlfriend from the last time we took a group trip there in 2001.

After getting the resort orientation at the main bure, we found our bure (boo-ray), the small house that was to be home for the week. The dive staff delivered our bags to us before we knew it. The bures are very comfortable, with lots of big windows for the ocean breezes and a great view of the ocean right outside out front porch. Each couple had their own bure...some are located right on the beach, and others are set back on the property. All are very nice inside, with a queen size bed, small twin bed (we used it for all our photo junk), dressing area, and marble bath. In addition, a small sitting area is also part of each bure.

All meals are taken at the main bure, and the food was magnificent.
When you arrive for breakfast each morning, there is a daily menu with a small menu selection slip, where you choose your meals for the day; that was the chef knows how much to prepare for each meal. Breakfasts consisted of your choice of french toast, eggs, omelettes, fresh fruit. Lunches were varied, and included choices of fish (always very fresh) some type of soup or salad. Dinners were the meal everyone really enjoyed, since they were gourmet, to say the least. Since I had been there before, I basically told my group in no uncertain terms to always order dessert, and no one was disappointed in that advice. An example: picture a dinner plate sized chocolate crepe, folded around whipped cream, with raspberry topping.....or how about a chocolate mousse....perhaps a chocolate covered pear in wine sauce??? Yes, I did gain a few pounds, in case you were wondering.

Now for the diving:
Water temp was 79 degrees, so a 3mm suit worked fine for most. Some of the folks wore a thin hodded vest, for that little extra protection. The diving is done around what are called coral "bommies" which are hugh coral mounds about 100-200 feet in diameter. Depths ranged from 80 feet and shallower. The divemasters would guide us through a series of bommies and work their way up to shallower depths, finally reaching safety stop depth at the bommie right under or near the boat. At the deeper depths, there were things to see, like blue ribbon eels, lots of lionfish, and the occasional shark sleeping between the bommies. The best parts of the dives were by far in 30 feet or less, where the riotous colors of the soft corals really stood out. On the tops of most of the mounds, there would be tons of small fish, like purple anthias, humbugs, leaf scorpionfish, and more. After a while, we got tired of seeing anemones and their clownfish, since there was a huge anemone on almost every bommie.
The dive boats are large, and very comfortable. The staff as well was accommodating. All gear is handled for you, including setup every morning when you arrive at the boat, along with switching tanks between dives, and even gear rinsing and hangup when the diving day is completed. Everyone liked the fact that there was a marine head on the boat...makes for "less smelly" wetsuits, if you know what I mean. Each trip was staffed by a boat captain, two divemasters (both of whom would accompany each dive), and one or two other gear handlers/divemasters.
Water entires were easy....grab your fins, sit at the back of the boat....the staff brings your gear over, checks your air, and you hop in. Cameras are waiting for you at the back of the boat, ready to be handed to you by the attentive staff. Exits were also simple. Your choice: climb the ladder with your gear, or reove it and the staff would lift it out of the water and change tanks for you.
Shore diving is easy, but some would consider it "muck diving"....I found it to be ok, especially if you're into macro subjects. Not too much color, but still worth a dive or two.

Other aspects of the resort:
Other things to do: kayak, snorkel, lie in your hammock and read....visit the school, hike to the waterfall (some called it a water trickle), attend the kava ceremony. Kava is the local drink that tastes like muddy water, but can really pack a punch, if consumed in large enough quantities (not that I'd know that, mind you). See the firewalkers demonstrate their skills....check out the coconut show, where an explanation of how the coconut palm is used in Fijian life......
We had the opportunity to visit the school while there, and we were greeted by all the kids singing for us. Well, of course, we had to sing a song in return. We also donated a large quantity of school supplies, like paper, pencils, and the like. The kids and teachers were very appreciative of these gifts. A visit to the school is a must if you go.

Almost to a person, everyone in the group said that this was the trip of a lifetime....for the diving, the food, the people and the accommodations.

I'd highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Check out some of the photos at:

Colin.
Underwater Connection