Remember me
Lost Password Register

OW and "DIR"
10-20-2004, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2005, 11:26 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
OW and "DIR"
10-21-2004, 06:41 AM,
Re:OW and "DIR"
See, at this point...it's not even really dir at all. It's just teaching them solid dive skills. Good trim, buoyancy, finning...that's just good skills for any diver. I would be one of those people that would have liked to take a class like this when I started out...
10-21-2004, 07:10 AM,

Jason and others too,
Despite all of the nitpicking that goes on and the rumors that you hear, whether you believe it or not, you have just seen the light. What you just described is a HUGE part of DIR. Obviously there are other considerations that get lots of press, but trim, buoyancy and finning are the keys. I think I've heard GI3 say that "In the DIR Fundamentals book, there is only one chapter on equipment and 10 on all the other things that are DIR." That really is the case. In reference to Paul's post, Mike Ferrara is a member of this board as well. Nobody should have to ignore the PADI disparaging remarks. PADI is in this to make money, and it sounds like Mike teaches a damn fine OW class.
10-21-2004, 08:19 PM,

I agree. What we're discussing isn't DIR specific. These are just skills that every "serious" diver should have, or aspire to. As far as your "oath" to PADI goes, maybe it's time to switch certifying agencies....
10-21-2004, 09:40 PM,
How do "serious" divers become serious divers given the current status quo in dive education? It seems like in every sport, hobby, or interest that most people are just along for the ride. I few people take it to the next level. Is diving any different?
--Jason
10-22-2004, 03:25 AM,

No, diving isn't any different. I'm not disagreeing with the general consensus about the relaxed (or lack of) standards put out by some of the certifying agencies, but I still fail to see how any of this relates specifically to DIR diving (this IS the DIR forum). Maybe the thread should be in a different area.