Remember me
Lost Password Register

Back from Roatan
04-28-2003, 01:03 PM,
Back from Roatan
Spent last week in Roatan; great trip. Weather was very good, with temps in the mid 80s during the day, dropping to mid to low 70s at night. We stayed at Fantasy Island Resort, where we had three boat dives per day, along with shore diving from their "gazebo" available to us. Water temps were a consistent 80-83, and visibility was somehwere in the nieghborhood of 50-80 feet. There was some windy conditions early in the week, causing some lower visibility on some sites.
Accomodations at FI were good; clean, comfortable rooms, but what really makes this a great trip was all the food! All three meals are buffet, and are all-you-can-eat. Friday nights they do a seafood buffet, with unlimited shrimp, crab legs, lobster and all the trimmings.
There were only 12-14 divers on our boat, one of two running during the week. The only other boat was taken by a group from Italy.
Sites are generally about 15 minuites from the resort, but we did a few where we agreed to go further away in search of other marine life, like turtles.
The dive boat leaves at 9, 11 and 2:30, and comes back to the resort after every dive, for fresh tanks, potty breaks, reloading film, etc. Very convenient, especially when you find yourself very "hydrated" if you know what I mean.
There was one night dive offered, which turned out to be one of the best I've done in 10+ years of diving. Two king crab fighting with an octopus! Lots of lobster, green and spotted morays, beautiful basket stars.
Night life is pretty low key at the resort, but if dance clubs and partying are your style, the West End is the place to be. Many ex-pats, along with bars and shops, and very cheap places to stay ($30 a night).
I'd definitely recommend this trip to anyone, even newer divers looking for their first vacation. I'll have photos back later this week, and will post the URL for them here.
Definitely would recommend this trip/location in the future.

Colin.
04-28-2003, 09:12 PM,
Re:Back from Roatan
Colin,

How were the No-see-ums when you were down there? When I was at Cocoview, the resort right next to Fantasy Island, two years ago I got eaten alive by them.

I even knew ahead of time that the Bay Islands are infamous for them and put insect repelent all over my legs. I didn't realize that would make them go right up the back of my shirt.

This is NOT a picture of acne! These are the over 100 bug bites I got in the first 3 days on the island! :'(

I had heard that the Bayman Bay Club, on th eNorth side of the island, was trying some new experimental treatment of their sand to help prevent this. I guess that they were taking ground up "nematoads" and spreading them on the beach to kill the bug larva. If it worked there, then maybe other places will try it.

BTW: My back healed the following week in Utila because the entire resort was built out on the water where the bugs can't get you.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   bite_1.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-30-2003, 10:35 AM,
Actually, the bugs weren't that bad, although I spent most of my time either on the boat, in the water, or at the bar/restaurant. Yes, I did get some bites, but nowehere near as many as you did. Others in our group got some as well, but again, not as bad. The resort now sells some repellent for these litle buggers, and I've also heard folks having some success with Skin-so-soft repellents.
In speaking with some of the staff, they told me that the population of no-see-ums can vary depending on the season, how much rain, etc. No way to predict, just do the best you can.

Colin.
04-30-2003, 10:58 AM,
The staff down there told me that they come and go in three week cycles. They have problems all year round, but if you hit it at the right time in their 3 week cycle your in luck, of you don't, well......

Jon