Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Lucerne
04-25-2003, 05:56 PM,
Lake Lucerne
Has anyone been diving in Lake Lucerne? Can you tell us anything about the lake? Local dive shops? Air fills? Water quality? Things to see in the late?

Thanks ahead for any and all replies.

Mike
04-25-2003, 08:38 PM,
Re:Lake Lucerne
Here is what I had written about Lake Lucerne in the Central Wisconsin Scuba Club dive reviews.

The Central Wisconsin Scuba Club plans to dive Lake Lucerne this summer. Timing will be posted on their site.

Max Depth: 73 Feet.

Size: 1,026 Acres

Directions: This is a popular lake in northern Wisconsin. Take Highway 8 east out of Crandon. Take County W south. Turn east on Lake Lucerne road and look for the public boat landing.

Access: The best way to dive this lake is from a boat. Launch from the boat landing and dive the rock formations. There is a good spot on the north tip of the island that is northwest of the boat landing. There are topographic maps for this lake that can be used to find other sites.

Traffic: There is a lot of motorized vehicle traffic on the lake. Most of the people on the lake will have no idea what a dive flag is. Use a dive flag and be very careful.

Dive Types: Boat diving

Visibility: Typical conditions in lakes of this area. Poor visibility when it rains (10 feet). Good visibility in spring and fall (20 feet and even better). Visibility drops off in summer as the algae blooms, but this lake will tend to keep its visibility longer.

Dive Rating (1 poor - 5 Excellent): 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things To See

1) Bottom Structure - The edges of the lake are dominated by the large rocks. These give the alternative name for this lake, which is stone lake. This provides a good place for fish to congregate and provides for some neat scenery. This also means that there are a lot of fishermen losing equipment. Provides a good place to find lures and anchors that have been lost by the fishermen. The fish make it fun.

2) Wildlife – There is the whole variety of northern lake fish including panfish, bass, northern pike, walleye, and trout.

04-26-2003, 05:58 AM,
Thanks Doug
04-26-2003, 06:08 PM,
I've dove it before, about 10 years ago, and it was a very pretty lake as I remember. There are no real services in the area that I know of for tank fills.

Jon
05-12-2003, 07:49 AM,
I've made two dives at Lucerne and had a great time on both dives. It can be very rocky in some locations and there are lots of trinkets to be found in the near shore areas where the fishermen hang out.