Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wazee Diving....
09-19-2004, 05:14 PM,
Wazee Diving....
Had some great diving out at Wazee today. First dive down to the gazing ball - conditions were similar to what we've seen all year. Decent down to 30, cloudy from 30 to 70, and from about 80 on down clear as a bell. The water is still nice and warm, and the viz seems to be slowly clearing up a little in the foggy region. Our second dive was a nice leisurely tour along the wall. I ended up pulling a 90 minute dive again - had a good time. Spent some time staring at a sand waterfally - it was really cool. The sand was flowing down the wall, and a few spots it was dropping down a ledge, and running like a river down the wall. It just kept going, and going, and going - very neat.

Great diving, and got to meet someone from the board out there, which is always fun. Get out and enjoy the last weeks of summer diving. Pretty soon we'll be adding chainsaws to the gear bags.

We'll be camping out at Wazee next weekend.
09-19-2004, 08:50 PM,
Re:Wazee Diving....
Good day of diving at Lake Wazee with Jason and Pinkfins. A great day with super weather, nice lake conditions and all the hot dogs you could eat.

Once we got the gear out of the Suburban, which is silver, we geared up and went down to the ball. The gargoyle is still guarding the area.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Gargoyle_-_20_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-19-2004, 09:10 PM,
It is dark down by the ball. With all of the poor visibility above, not much sunlight makes it down here. To give an idea, check out this picture of Jason coming up to the ledge by the ball. It is fun checking out the dark.

.jpg_thumb   Jason_-_90_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.39 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-19-2004, 09:13 PM,
Pink Fin was with us on the diving today. Here she is setting up an artificial forest.

.jpg_thumb   Pink_Fin_-_4_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.25 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-19-2004, 09:17 PM,
The bluegills are still hanging around the fish cribs and many other areas. They still think that they are tough.

.jpg_thumb   Bluegill_-_201_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.85 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-19-2004, 09:20 PM,
But every so often they get their butts kicked.

.jpg_thumb   Bluegill_-_199_-_Enhanced_-_Closeup_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.93 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-19-2004, 09:24 PM,
The bluegills are not very smart. Here they are trying to figure out if a white rock is food. Probably are hoping it will move before they jump on it. Thank goodness they do not have piranha teeth.

.jpg_thumb   Bluegill_-_200_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 46.24 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-19-2004, 09:28 PM,
Found some strange rocks. Do not know how these patterns were developed in this old quarry.

We had a lot of fun on these dives. Hope you got out today too, it was worth it.

See you underwater.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Painted_Rocks_-_2_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-26-2004, 08:15 AM,
Does anyone know how Wazee got its name when it went from the Jackson County Mine to a lake? I know it was in the 80's but I was wondering where the Wazee name came from.
09-26-2004, 06:25 PM,
I'd have to double check in the Divers Guide, but I believe it's an indian word meaning tall pines.