Remember me
Lost Password Register

moderators "moderating"
09-12-2004, 06:11 AM,
moderators "moderating"
I'd like to suggest in the future that if a post has been "moderated" (ie: completely erased or content "adjusted") that a p.m. or E-mail be sent to the poster of that "offensive" or "improper" post with an explanation. Thanks!

Matt

09-12-2004, 09:56 PM,
Re:moderators "moderating"
Yes, this should be standard practice. Thanks for the reminder Matt.
--Jason
09-13-2004, 07:58 AM,
Will definitely do if I ever have the need to do so.

Luckily this forum is so much better than any of the larger diving forums. We have so far been able to stay away from a lot of the posturing and bickering that plagues other discussions, and we have kept it fun and interesting. I like that a lot - the discussions on this board are not as active as others, but it is much more pleasant here.
09-13-2004, 07:56 PM,
I can change things as a moderator. I can feel the power. Will have to remember to use it some time. Have not had a need to so far.

Doug

09-14-2004, 06:17 AM,
Not a huge deal guys. I had a post "moderated" (deleted) last week in the "DIR" section with NO notification or explanation. Here one day and gone the next. I know of at least one other post that disappeared, though I don't know if a reason was given to it's author. I agree with Omicron that you guys have provided a nice "local" site where we exchange info and "some" humor in a friendly way. Thanks for your interest.

Matt
07-19-2007, 06:19 PM,
Re: moderators "moderating"
There was a recent post that was deleted from a thread without explanation.  I saw the deleted post and noted that it was a pretty direct question but not discourteous or out of order.  As a member of this forum, I would think it proper that if a moderator feels the need to address an issue, the general message be conveyed to the community so the general breach of guidelines is understood.  In the past few months I have seen nothing that was disrespectful, slanderous or overtly offensive toward any members of this forum.  Now whether or not that is because it was all deleted, I don't know.  Call me paranoid but it reallys seems all too "Area 51" to just delete without explanation to the group involved. 

Secondly, it would be nice to know what the moderators consider as criteria for stepping in and what actions they will take.  Is there something agreed by all moderators or is it individual opinion?  It is good to see the lack of name calling and trolls like some bigger forums but at the same time, I don't see anything wrong with asking direct questions and fervent debate.
07-19-2007, 08:07 PM,
Todd, do you remember what post it was that disappeared?  We do have a moderation log in the administration software that shows the name of the thread/post that was moderated with date moderated, etc.  However, it does not show the content of the post.  It only shows the person that made the original post, the post title, and the moderator that did the moderation.  It is standard procedure to send private messages to the member who posted content requiring moderation due to the content being out of line.  As far as I know only Jason Baker, Omicron and myself have had to do this in the past so the other moderators may not be aware of this but I will let them know.

Thanks, Lonnie
07-19-2007, 08:38 PM,
Lonnie, PM sent.
07-24-2007, 05:57 PM,
Speaking of moderation....

Has anyone else been receiving messages about their threads being deleted?  I've had several of the threads that I've posted in regarding WI Cave/Mine diving deleted and I'm somewhat disappointed as there was a lot of good information in them.
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM,
PM sent