Remember me
Lost Password Register

Questionnaire: Dive Boat Practices
09-04-2004, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2005, 01:51 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Questionnaire: Dive Boat Practices
I'm doing some research and I need to know the maximum run time allowed by charter boat operators for recreational dives. I have been told that most are 1 hour. Can anyone comment on their experiences or, if you're a charter operator, what your rules are?

Thanks!

Attached Files
.jpg   Transportation_Calculator_v2.jpg (Size: 78.5 KB / Downloads: 39)
09-05-2004, 02:12 PM,
Re:Questionnaire: Dive Boat Practices
I have been given maximum times between 35 and 60 minutes by various charter boat operators. Some seem strict about it, others are a little more loose.

Usually the US operations that you have gotten to know will let you dive your dive and allow you to use your judgement. However, these dives usually end up less than 1 hour due to depth.

The longest I stretched it was in Florida, Key Largo. Took it to the 60 minute limit.

Live aboards are different. Once they got to know us, the pool was open until we showed up.

Shore diving is another thing. Some real marathon sessions. My buddies will atest to this.

Doug
09-05-2004, 03:22 PM,
I have done 70+ minute charter dives in Coz when the groups were small and experienced. I did 90 minutes on a 25ft dive on a liveaboard two months ago. I find that my dive times on local charters are more limited by the cold water temperature versus depth or gas. I don't spend much more than 45 minutes in Superior or deep in Michigan.
--Jason
09-05-2004, 08:21 PM,
Around here, limits are mostly set by your No Deco Time. The most common wrecks are deep enough that you run out of No Deco before you run out of air. This is the limit I use...If you are not trained to dive decompression, you dont dive it on my boat. A mistake.. I can handle....once...If you intentionallly dive past limits..you dont dive on my boat. I let people run their computers...i usually check the wheel, and have divers run a plan for me before their second or third dive. This way i know what to expect from each of them. Also..it lets me know if they know how to use their computer...Which is a good thing. Generally, i am a TAXI service to the wrecks...BUT i will not let people dive unsafe...

I dont think i have ever been told that i have to end my dive at a certain time. I have done 58 minutes in Cancun..without any problems from DM's..I think once you let the DMs know that you are capable, they tend to let you dive your dive...
09-06-2004, 08:43 PM,
The Lender uses 1 hour as a guide, but there have been some 90 minute planned, and some other unplanned, dives done on her.

People using their computors, instead of tables, have been the biggest offenders of breaking their dive times.

Jon
09-07-2004, 07:25 AM,
For recreational/NDL diving? yeah one hour seems to be the rule of thumb by most places warm or cold.

Temperature is a significant factor in this question for most people. There are not many people out there that want to do hour plus dives in 40 degree water

I've also heard of turn the dive at 1500psi and back on the boat at 500psi.

On shallow warm water dives I've seen a few dm's get pissy about this though.....if your rmv is good....their signaling it's time to go up and I've got 1400 remaining?

The way I look at it, I'm the customer/diver. If I dive within my limits/ training what difference does the time make be it 30 minutes or ??? minutes?

Deco diving is a completely different subject.