Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR audio available online
09-03-2004, 07:34 AM,
DIR audio available online
The audio from video series II and III (unreleased) are available online, authorized by king George himself.

I downloaded them last night and haven't listened to them yet, so cannot vouch for audio quality.

happy listening.
09-03-2004, 10:08 AM,
Re:DIR audio available online
Wow!!!
What an immediate let down....No wonder DIR get beat up so much and there is always so much controversy....

I downloaded and listed to it for about 30seconds...I will llisten to the rest, and try to pull some good information from it, BUT
Opening statements.." The only new equipment we had to add this year...was a body bag!..If you are going to dive with STROKES, you are going to need this...IF you are going to dive on off a boat that has STROKES on it, you are going to need a body bag." This is coming from George himself. >Sad

How the hell do you expect a dive phylosophy to take off and grow when you use tactics like that. >Sad

One of the BIG CHEESES in DIR likes to open his program with.......Everyone that is not diving like me, and us.....Is as good as dead...because I and we are the BEST. HUMBUG >Sad

I think they need to FIre their VP of marketing, and work on a new marketing program. I dont know alot of people out there that would enjoy being told that they Suck, and then want to follow the phylosophy of the persons that told them they Suck,,

I am Dissapointed >Sad
09-03-2004, 10:30 AM,
Well, I'm pretty sure this was developed to preach to the choir, as it were. I can't see a lot of die-hard, for lack of a better word, strokes chipping in to buy this in order to dive 'better'.

The production quality, and presentation style are certainly lacking, but if you get past the initial stroke-bashing, there is some good info inside. I hear the video portion is equally unimpressive, with the exception of the cave diving footage.
I'm waiting to borrow a set of the dvds because I'd like to see it for myself.

For me this is a MAJOR case of liking the (underlying) message, despite how I may feel about the messengers.
09-03-2004, 08:56 PM,
What's a stroke?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   gi_ja_kasa.jpg_thumb (Size: 43.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-04-2004, 05:12 AM,
I think I'm going to change my harness to BLUE webbing and start drinking "diet Sprite" ;D...........
09-04-2004, 08:30 AM,
don't forget to buy yourself a green sweater and grow your hair out all pretty and blonde! Tongue
09-04-2004, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2004, 09:56 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
I like looking at that picture and realising if GI tried to use that gear today in a GUE class, they'd make him change it (too many D-rings, backup light has a switch on it I think, hard plastic valve knobs, shoulderpads). I wish I could identify the other diver, although judging by the age of the photo and his weight, he must be dead from heart disease...

If this kind of diver was the norm when DIR got it's start I could see why he felt like he needed to stand up and shout in the middle of the crowd. Sometimes when you're in the middle of a bunch of people doing stupid things you need to shock people in order for them to get the message (and then of course they beat you down and only later on do they realize the benefit of your message, of course all the while believing that they thought of it themselves). I think GI has backpedaled significantly from his previous "chicken little" stance, he has a message posted on TDS now asking everyone from WKPP to chill out and not go around calling people strokes anymore because it makes their organisation look bad. He has pretty much semi-retired and just keeps himself content working on scooters and diving with friends and is tired of the controversy. I don't blame him.

My hair is pretty and blonde! ;D

Hi Matt!
09-10-2004, 05:33 AM,
Again with the personal stuff that has nothing to do with content, I am beginning to feel like this is the presidential race I am moderating Wink I know if someone dredged up a picture that was over 10 years old, I was pretty funny looking then too, (Hell, if you talk to some people, I still am) I also had some pretty bizare ideas of gear configuration back then.

Note to Jon, don't feel the need to post that pic from me under the ice, however, if you do, I promise I won't sue you, because that is part of where I was, not part of where I am today.

I have the entire progam on video, the information is excellent. I agree, perhaps the opening lines can be a bit off putting, but you need to put it in context, during that time, a LOT of people were getting themselves killed, in fact, several people that George knew were getting hurt or killed. He was tired of it and wanted to start to advocate a new way. Sometimes you need to shock people to get them to listen, based on how much DIR you see around the country, it seems like it worked.

Also, understand that George isn't and never has been a "PR" kind of guy, if you don't like the way he says something, that is your problem, not his. Also, technically, if you don't dive the DIR (his DIR way), you did risk being called a stroke, not so much today, but in the past that was the way it was. He and Jarrod J. were the ones defining what DIR was, and it did change in subtle ways over time, you needed to keep up.

It wasn't until GUE was formed that the DIR philosophy was commonly available from people other than George. Now GUE has a marketing arm and many of the old timers are softening their approach, not compromising mind you, but softening the delivery so that the message can get out.

DIR is a holistic system, either you do it or you don't. It took me a LONG time to really understand that. This isn't to say that if you adopt only parts of the system you won't improve your diving, it just means that the whole is as in many cases, is greater than the sum of the parts.

The closer that I get to really DIR diving, the better I feel in the water.

By the way, there is a new video available on the GUE website, the production values are way up and from what I hear, it is much more politically correct and has just as good information for those of you easily offended.
09-10-2004, 06:53 AM,
I have the new DIR 3-DVD set and it is quite good. George is still George, but perhaps a kinder, gentler George if that is possible. It is worth the money just for the Wakulla dives that are on the video. It is amazing the control that Trey and JJ have with multiple stages and multiple scooters clipped to them.
09-10-2004, 11:16 AM,
You mind if I "rent" those from you on Sunday? I can pay you with the beer.;D I would like to see them all before Fundies in October.