Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR Practice Group
06-23-2004, 05:09 AM,
DIR Practice Group
Guys,

I have had several inquiries regarding opportunities to practice some of the DIR skills from last weekend's class. I would like to try to set up a group that could meet a few times a month specifically to practice the DIR Fundatmentals protocols.

Also, Mike Kane offered to come back into town later this year if we can put together 3 students. Chris already has 2 solid, and I am sure I can get a few more. I was looking at the third weekend in September as a potential date.

I have been getting excellent feedback from the class and would look forward to growing a group of solid DIR divers in the Milwaukee area. This will give everyone like minded divers to work with and hopefully improve everyone's skills.

Perhaps we can even overcome some of the negative stereotypes that are associated with DIR in general. I think everyone in class will attest that in 3 days of training, neither Mike or Brandon ever mentioned the H word with respect to equipment!! (For those of you not initiated, the H word is Halcyon).

These guys do have very high standards, and the class does require a strong desire to learn and to take a hard look at your diving skills, but I think if you ask anyone, that has taken it, it is an experience that anyone with an open mind and a desire improve their diving skills, will benefit from.

07-06-2004, 10:17 PM,
Re:DIR Practice Group
Regarding Gert’s post, I’m interested in joining anyone or a group who wants to devote some dives to working on skills and drills – even better if anyone wants to shoot video for reviewing technique.

As a participant in the DIR-F class at Deep Blue last month the big takeaway for me was getting hands-on guidance on propulsion and safety skills that I can use to correctly practice – and perhaps most eye-opening of all, an understanding of what real situational awareness and team/buddy diving can and should be to maximize control, coordination and safety – and therefore enjoyment of a dive.

I got started this past weekend with a couple of dives at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio with my brother-in-law, who’s a police diver in Columbus. Both dives were no deeper than 60-70 feet with most time spent between 30-50 ft just working on my frog kick, modified flutter, horizontal positioning & trim, balancing center of gravity, arching my back, controlling ascents & descents strictly with breathing, leveling out for 30/20/10 safety stops, smoothly unclipping and clipping SPG and long hose without fumbling, timing my gas check every 5 minutes without looking at my watch, estimating my remaining gas at each check before looking, doing mask clears – these may seem pretty basic, and can be practiced on most any dive, but my objective is to treat these as workout dives, concentrating on the skills, repeating over and over, without as much concern about the dive itself. Just like working out in the gym.

I was surprised at how much progress I made in just two short (45 minute) dives. My objective now is to do at least 10 more skills-focused workout dives in the next 5-6 weeks (Brandon told me he did a dozen workout dives in as many weeks after his first DIR-F class to get all the skills down cold -- muscle memory). And I’m still working on that backward kick and helicopter turn...
07-22-2004, 05:20 PM,
Count me in! The class with Mike & Brandon was the best I've ever taken. It really challenges the way you look at your own and your teams diving skills.
08-26-2004, 05:05 AM,
Practice Coordination
With the DIRF class coming up in just over 6 weeks, I would be happy to coordinate weekly or bi weekly practice sessions for anyone interested. Please drop me an email and let me know what times/days of the week work and I will create an email list to keep everyone updated.

I also need to know of any previous attendees that are planning to attend the fall class so that we can plan.
09-06-2004, 05:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2004, 05:48 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)

What's with the "arching the back"? I haven't specifically heard of this. Do you mean arching your back down to get your head up, or arching your back up to get your head down?

When I first got my doubles put together I spent a few pool sessions just working on trim, helicopter turns, streamlining, doing "rolls", headstands, picking up and dropping stages, frog kicking, modified flutter and maneuvering along the lines of the pool. It was great experience and I recommend to anyone, not just DIR people, to take time with yourself and work on your foundation skills. It really paid off for me when hitting my cave classes! We spent more time having fun and probably went farther because I wasn't a cluster$%k in the water. Back arching?

Attached Files
.gif   black_cat.gif (Size: 4.51 KB / Downloads: 178)
09-09-2004, 10:42 PM,
The DIR class I referred to advocates maintaining a horizontal position throughout the dive, including ascents and descents, to most effectively utilize multiple finning techniques, staying off the bottom, etc. Slightly arching the back (not like the cat - the other way) simply helps maintain this position. It's just a refinement technique. The instructor suggested, rule of thumb, a slight arching of the back with just enough space between the backplate and your back to slip a hand between.
09-10-2004, 04:14 AM,
Is this one of those hard and fast rules where if you do not obey it you are a stroke and will die or is there some latitude?

Doug
09-10-2004, 04:58 AM,
It never ceases to amaze me that especially on the topic of DIR no good deed goes unpunished. JMC posted a useful, well thought out answer, and gets slammed with a sacastic reply.

Folks, lets TRY to keep on topic so this forum doesn't spin out of control.

As far as arching you back, I would like to echo JMC's post. I find that by arching my back, I am able to keep myself horizontal in the water, otherwise, I tend to float with my legs lower than my chest. It also forces you to bring your knees up and back, so that you don't end up dropping them when you kick, a pretty typical mistake that people make. Finally, depending on how much arch I put in my back, I can change my pitch orientation in the water without using my hands or fins.

By using the right techniques, you can change your orientation in any of the 3 axes, pitch, yaw and roll without ever moving your hands. Now that is precision!!! It is frustrating at first, but after some practice, it is all worth it.

Arching your back brings your knees up and your head up and keeps you horizontal. I personally arch till I start to feel a bit of a knot at the base of my spine, that is when I know that I have hit the sweet spot.

I never was aware of how my legs dropped down until I saw the video in the DIRF class. I had always assumed that I had pretty good position in the water. Another example of how even experienced divers can benefit from that class.
09-10-2004, 09:15 PM,
I know Doug, and he definitely had his tongue firmly in cheek. It was a light hearted comment - smile ;D