Remember me
Lost Password Register

installing drysuit kneepads and pockets
08-31-2004, 09:15 PM,
installing drysuit kneepads and pockets
Getting ready to install some pockets and kevlar kneepads on my drysuit. I've read the Halcyon pocket mounting info, amd posted on TDS. Anyone here have any "real world" experience or tips for me?
08-31-2004, 09:25 PM,
Re:installing drysuit kneepads and pockets
I mounted the halcyon pockets on my andy's drysuit last year. First, I put some tape on the back of the pockets. Next, I donned the drysuit and positioned the pockets by sticking them where I wanted them. I checked out the pocket positioning in a mirror and had my wife take a look. Then, I removed the drysuit and placed the suit on the kitchen table. I carefully glued each pocket using e6000 glue (good stuff). The key is to make sure each pocket is laying flat against the suit. It worked fine.

My frequent dive buddy had to get his pockets sewn on because the glue just did not hold well over time. He dives a dui tls350. I think it was around $50 at the the superior drysuit repair shop.
--Jason
09-01-2004, 08:30 AM,
Hey Matt,
I put on my own knee pads...I can tell you what NOT to do. I didnt place the knee pads while in the suit..thus they are a little off. Jason has a great idea..fit them while in the suit...then move to a flat table.

I used Aquaseal..I followed its instructions..but i placed a phone book on each pad during drying time. They are NOT coming off

Deano
09-02-2004, 05:08 AM,
Dean,
If you think of it, bring your suit tomorrow or Saturday, so I can take a look at it. I'm kind of nervous about squirting a bunch of glue on an expensive drysuit.
matt
09-02-2004, 03:49 PM,
Jason,
What can you tell me about the "e6000" glue? Eveyone else is recommending "Mcnett seal cement" for the pockets.
09-02-2004, 04:48 PM,
The E-6000 glue is similar in thickness to Aquaseal...so pretty thick stuff. It comes in a tube just like Aquaseal. It didn't work well on my TLS350 suit since the corners kept pulling up so I had my pockets sewn on. The TLS350 has a very smooth texture on the outside. Jason's suit has a texture more similar to the pockets themselves which is rougher so I think that's why he had better luck with the glue than I did.
09-02-2004, 08:19 PM,
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to go with the "seal cement". It seems like it will stick to anything. I'll give a report after everything is mounted and we have a few dives on the stuff.
09-20-2004, 06:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2004, 07:17 AM by matt t..)
The pockets and knee-pads finally arrived and after all my research I was ready to glue everything on. I decided to go with the McNett seal cement on the pockets and knee-pads. After a call to 5th Dimension and a few questions. It turns out that they recommend putting glue on the WHOLE pocket instead of just a 1" strip around the perimeter. The backing on the pocket appears to be neoprene instead of nylon (like the Halcyon) and seems like it would be a better surface for the glue. I outlined the pocket position on the suit with masking tape, and applied 3 coats (5-10 minutes between each coat) of seal cement, also doing the pocket at the same time. Applying the pockets is a 1 time deal, because after the 2 glued surfaces come in contact they aren't coming apart. I was really impressed with the strength of the glue! After the pockets were applied I pulled the outline tape off the suit, leaving nice clean edges around the pockets. Looked great. I then went about positioning the knee-pads. This was a little difficult. Do I place them evenly in the center of the knee panels, or do I put them where they'll do the most good? I ended up putting them a little to the outside to cover most of the worn area already present (outlining the area with masking tape again for nice clean glue lines). They look a little lopsided to the suit knee panels, but are glued on evenly, to each other, on the suit. For this application I applied 3 coats (to the pads and suit) of seal cement in a 1" perimeter leaving the center "glue free". DUI recommends this method and it makes sense because the knee area needs to stretch. I rolled the pads out with the wifes rolling pin and let everything dry for 24 hours. Three dives so far and everything is still on the suit! It was a fun little project that saved me $180 in labor.

09-20-2004, 09:52 AM,
I have seen Matts work..They do look really good, and dont look like they will ever come off....if they do, i am sure Matt will just throw the suit away, as it would look totally Ghetto if they did ;D
09-20-2004, 09:59 AM,
I think the term was 'garage sale' Wink