Remember me
Lost Password Register

BC vs Backplate/wing
08-30-2004, 09:12 PM,
BC vs Backplate/wing
I'm thinking about getting a new BC. I'm leaning towards a backplate/wing. I talked to a LDS and was asking about a plate and wing, just looking for ideas, and now I have more questions. I like the look of the plate and wing because it is clean, no danglies. The gal at the shop recommended a Zeagle Ranger. I would still have to wear weight with a plate, the zeagle is weight integrated so I don't need a belt.
Currently I only dive single alum 80's with a drysuit but who knows There may be doubles down the road...
Jason
08-30-2004, 11:15 PM,
Re:BC vs Backplate/wing
Yes, do it. I know at least six people who have upgraded from the zeagle ranger to a backplate+wing. Save the money and just buy it now. The great thing about a bp+wing is that the darn thing lasts forever (well at least the backplate). As your diving progresses or advances your gear can stay the same.

If you are diving singles you only need a ~30lb wing. If you start diving doubles you can pick up a ~50-60lb wing. Don't get talked into a one-size-fits-all wing. You can buy good wings from Dive Rite, Halcyon, and Oxycheck.

Let us know what exact configuration you are looking at. We can make recommendations.
--Jason
08-31-2004, 06:33 AM,

I have a Zeagle Ranger....I loved it, and it was used every dive...until i got a backplate and wings....I currently dive single hp120's. I use a Diverite rec wing...Its perfect for what i do, and rather than upgrade an entire bc to go to double, i need only to change the wing..and this isnt even mandatory if i keep the bottles small. I have dove my Ranger only a couple of times since, and even plan to take the plate and wing to the tropics in the future...
GL
Deano
08-31-2004, 07:11 AM,
I dove a Ranger too, and loved it. Once we started ice diving on as regular a basis as you can, I realized I hated how bulky it felt with all the crap you needed on there. I decided to go to a plate and wing right then and never looked back.

Talking about your weighting, there are several things to consider. One is that your Ranger has a fair amount of inherent buoyance, which you won't need to offset with lead. If you are diving a single tank you might want to look at a plate with an STA instead of the wing with the STA integrated, as you can pick up a few more negative pounds that way.

In addition to the brands mentioned below, you should look at Fred T for the plate and STA. I'll dig up his email address asap.
He makes plates on his own, and you don't have to pay for the name brand.

Good luck
08-31-2004, 07:19 AM,
You won't regret the BP/wing. Don't waste your money on a "tech" BC. I picked up a STA on ebay for about $30 and added Scubapro cam bands. I like my doubles so much that I haven't tried the STA yet, but it looks good. That is rule #6.
08-31-2004, 07:28 AM,
I'd lean towards the backplate and wing as well.

The streamlining and lack of junk on them is one of their biggest selling points. It's amazing when you put them on - it doesn't seem like you are wearing all that much at all - nothing but a few strips of webbing along your chest and a belt around your waist. I love that part of them.

They are very, very versatile. I have one of the "one size fits all" type of wings - it was kind of on accident. I had a ScubaPro RecTek bcd, and I took the wing off of that and put it onto a backplate and harness. I use the same wing on my E8-130's as well as my double 104's. Thats one of the great things about the versatility of them - I can dive singles, doubles, my deco bottle, etc, etc - all without really doing any reconfiguration on my bcd.

I find them more comfortable - once you get yourself locked into a backplate, they stay there! They don't move around at all. They seem to me to be more stable underwater as well. They also let you get weight off of your weight belt.

I like them a lot - a lot of people I dive with have been buying backplates instead of another BC as they wear out their old BC's.

As far as where to get one from...

DiveRite is very good and reasonably priced. Halcyon makes good stuff as well, but is a little on the pricier side. OxyCheq makes some good wings and plates that are similar to the Halcyon ones. OMS also makes wings and plates, but their stuff is kind of different. I was also going to mention FredT as well - he's a guy on Scubaboard that makes his own stuff and is very good. If you go the route of the FredT plate, you will just have to buy your harness and wing from somewhere else - it makes it a little bit more of a DIY project then, but it's still very good.

After you decide what brand, then what type! There are typically two different types of harnesses on the backplate - the traditional single piece of 2" nylon webbing, or what a lot of companies call the "deluxe" webbing. It's a matter of preference what you like - I like the simple 2" webbing - it's cheap, it's simple, and it's easy to replace when it wears out. Some like the deluxe webbing because it has extra buckles and such on it to get in and out of the harness. It's a matter of preference really.

Let us know how it goes, and if you've got any more questions!
08-31-2004, 07:35 AM,
I have been using a Sherwood Outback for 3 years and nearly 400 dives. This BCD is similar to the Ranger. The Outback has worn out and I have gone to backplate and wing. I prefer the backplate and wing because of the simple design, configuration options and how it rides. You can add whatever you want, including integrated weights (Scubapro weight pouches work well for under $30).

The group of guys that I dive with have all gone from some type of manufactured BCD to backplate and wings.

Go with the backplate and wings, skip the manufactured BCD trap.

Doug