Remember me
Lost Password Register

where did DIR go
08-23-2004, 02:33 PM,
where did DIR go
Where oh where did DIR go oh where oh where can it be...........surely we had more than two DIR divers on this site. The conversations interest me...is there anyone out there capable of picking this topic up....
08-23-2004, 07:55 PM,
Re:where did DIR go
The DIR arguments really get heated on just about every board. A lot of times it is about something as rediculous as how exactly you should connect a clip to a hose. DIR, or whatever you want to call the system, is much more than that. Quiet is OK sometimes.

The rest of you will figure it out eventually Wink

If anyone needs anything I'll be over here drinking my Kool-Aid.

08-24-2004, 10:45 AM,
C'mon..I am proud to be "Stroke" Even though i find the word rediculous. It places me in the same category as people such as The Cousteaus and the Navy Seals. And thank God we are in the armpit of the world and none of those Pricks wish to come and visit. .

By the by...what does this guy fo if he has to take a leak?
08-24-2004, 12:04 PM,
my guess is that dude has a p-valve (probably home-made) and a poop-shoot (you figure it out) and probably a big watertight box of handy-wipes bungied to himself somewhere Tongue
08-24-2004, 05:05 PM,

I am happy for all those out there that have found a comfortable diving phylosophy in DIR. Heck, I am happy that anyone finds any dive phylosophy that makes them get out there and dive.

Just keep in mind..not all people that are out there diving non DIR, runs out of air, or has bad diving habbits. Many can actually dive. I know you get this, i know that you are a sharp guy. Besides, what does someone like me do if they still want to dive. I am far too TALL, and my back is too hairy to be accepted in the DIR community 8)
08-24-2004, 05:56 PM,
So who are the DIR Divers in the area.
08-24-2004, 08:20 PM,

I guess, dispite all of the hype, and sort of going against what DIR really is, that is a bit of a judgement call. I don't know that anybody here is completely DIR. If you think you are, I'd like to dive with you. I'm working on it, but have a long way to go. The two GUE instructors I have seen dive were amazing in the water. Why wouldn't you want your skills like that? There are a few others that I know who have seen the light and looked past the bickering that goes on in most of the forums. You really need to have an open mind to get the most out of DIR. Unfortunately, because of the oftentimes heated debates, most people have a strong opinion one way or the other about what they think DIR is. Most of the time I think they are way off.

That said, this is my favorite part of the GUE application. I think GI3 must have written this one.

I will participate in a regular regime of physical exercise and remain in good physical condition at all times, absent physical illness, which precludes my adherence to this requirement. I understand that poor physical fitness or obesity is a condition that increases the likelihood of my death and the death of my diving partners for whom I may be responsible. I understand and agree that I have a responsibility to remain fit and not to become obese or grossly overweight and that such condition, which is life threatening, will lead to my expulsion from GUE.

For whatever reason, I like that one ;D

The other issue is trying to find like minded divers. It is getting easier, but contrary to popular belief, one unsafe diver on a boat can ruin the dive for the entire boat. I find myself choosing my buddies more carefully than before, but I'm also doing some dives that I haven't done before. I also look at the way I used to dive and thank somebody (probably Gert) that I have things sort of squared away now. In that same light, I look at some others and wonder why they haven't figured it out. This stuff really works.

I'm rambling. I want to be DIR, but I have a ways to go.
08-24-2004, 10:39 PM,
I know quite a few divers up here that ascribe to DIR. I would add myself to that category with the caveat that I have not taken a DIR-F yet. I am willing to dive with anyone safe no matter what their skill level. I tend to gravitate towards the people with backplates and long hoses though.
--Jason
08-25-2004, 11:38 AM,
Lets keep this on subject people, if you have personal issues with each other settle it somewhere else.
08-25-2004, 12:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2004, 12:42 PM by jasondbaker.)
Re:where did DIR go...

As for DIR, some people at the shop dive DIR and some don't - it's a personal choice. I personally dive a long hose (even for recreational diving), but I use a Viking drysuit (not a DUI TLS350), dry gloves (can't handle the cold), and a Zeagle BC for OW (not a backplate and harness). I also dive solo sometimes, and I dive sidemount in caves. Other individuals at the shop are more DIR-oriented, and others are less. There are good and not-so-good divers on both sides - in WI at least, I don't see a significant positive correlation between "being a DIR diver" and "being a good diver."

My gear configuration has been continuously evolving since I started diving based on the environment and conditions in which I'm diving. I've also learned quite a bit from talking to other dives - in person and on the internet (thanks techdiver@aquanaut, TDS, and many other sites).

I've learned quite a bit from the DIR crowd, and I know there's quite a bit I still have to learn from them. From time to time I've even thought about taking a DIR-F class from a good instructor - some GUE instructors are very highly regarded and I am sure I would learn a lot. However, I've also learned many good things from non-DIR instructors and divers.

In any case, one thing I'm absolutely certain of is that the DIR "one size fits all" philosophy (that covers gear configuration, philosophy, team setup, etc...) does not apply to every environment and every dive.