Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Michigan Vis
04-16-2003, 01:00 PM,
Lake Michigan Vis
I dove last weekend (4/12) and the vis was 40'! I am hoping we have a "good vis" year because last year was not that great. The lake temp from the bottom to the top was 35. If you can take the cold water I recommend everyone get out and take advantage of the good vis!

Darren

04-16-2003, 01:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2003, 01:46 PM by FreediveWI.)
Re:Lake Michigan Vis
We had some days with good vis last year Darren. I remember a couple of days on the Milwaukee with 50'+ vis. It was awesome. Jerry has had 80'+ vis on the Willy already this winter.

I think every year it will get a little bit better around here. Over in Kingston they're talking 100'+ vis, but they've had zebra mussels longer than we have.

Jon
04-16-2003, 01:37 PM,
and last year (I believe it was july 2) you could see from the bow to the pilot-house on the Willie! Too bad we don't have that every day.
04-17-2003, 09:55 AM,
Yeah it seems the Vis is usually better near milwaukee then the rest of the places I dive south of the border. Didn't the city of Chicago blame Milwaukee for bad water quality and beach closeings last summer? Who knows if that is true.

The best vis I have seen on the lake was on the dredge and the willie. It must have been 80feet. It seems the vis is usually very good there. The deep wrecks last year were not that great. We tried to dive the Channon twice and the vis was less than 3 feet. Vis on the wisconsin was not as good as previous years. The average was more like 15 to 20. We will see how it hold up this year.

Right now we can see ambient light at 180', not to bad!
04-17-2003, 10:51 AM,
It's been a while since I've seen good vis on the Channon. It has been less than 5' the last few times I have been on it.
I did have a dive on her about 10-12 years ago that had 30+ vis and ambient light that was so bright I didn't need to use a dive light at all.

I see that the zebra mussels are down past 160'. Maybe that will clean up the deeper wrecks.
For now all of the good vis is shallow ( less than 100') and that makes for some really great freediving out there. ;D

Jitka said that it was flat calm out there last week when she went out with Greg. That certainly wasn't the case these past few days.

I have seen good vis on all of the shalloow wrecks south of the border- that's all you really have down there. Wink

I know that Illinois was complaing about water pollution at the exact same time Wisconsin was complaining about air pollution from Chicago.

Of course, we did have that little problem with crypto a few years back and I know that I missed at least a day or two of work because of it.

Jon
04-24-2003, 09:23 PM,
Qestion. Where is the Channon? I've never heard of it.

Tanks

Jim
04-25-2003, 06:22 AM,
The Grace Channon is about 9-10 miles off of Oak Creek in 186' of water. She is a very beautiful schooner that still has her cabin intact- which is very RARE in shipwrecks.

She went down in 1877 and was discovered by Kent Bellrichard in 1985- actually, he may have found it earlier and waited quite a while before he told anyone about it.

Jon
04-25-2003, 05:55 PM,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great wreck! a little deep for my current training level. Sounds like tri mix country to me. It will be awhile, but I'm working towards that end. I know what you mean about the cabin. Usually if they still exist they lay next to the wreck.

Thanks

Jim