Remember me
Lost Password Register

dive buddies with different training and configurations
08-04-2004, 12:29 PM,
dive buddies with different training and configurations
I was just wondering how many people out there are in a similar situation and how they deal with things.

Right now we have 5-6 semi-regular divers in our group that dives together. 1 is adv.nitrox/deco certified, 2 are nitrox cert and looking toward adv.nitrox/deco, 2 are nitrox and are happy where they are, and 1 is not nitrox but will probably head that way.

in addition the first 3 divers on the list of 6 are MOSTLY DIR in gear configuration, the other 3 are more recreational.

Right now when we dive it tends to be a break down of who is breathing what and who is equipped with doubles vs singles.
Obviously this could change as it becomes a matter of 'who is going down for 1 hr, who will be down for 30 min.

I'd be interested to hear how all of you deal with your group of dive buddies all headed in different directions in terms of training, etc.
08-04-2004, 02:16 PM,
Re:dive buddies with different training and configurations
I think it sucks! You guys need to get your crap together and get with the program. Wink I'm not inot pushing anyone into this. Do it whe you are ready. I recommend the DIR-F class before deco procedures, but I did it the other way around and I'm still alive.

That is part of the problem with addtional advanced training for me. If I don't have a buddy that is trained to the same level, that I am comfortable diving with, what is the point. I am not out to collect cards, and I want to get to the next level at some point, but it is difficult to get your stuff squared away if you aren't doing the dives. I know that many of the skills needed for this can and should be practiced in a shallow environment, but it is still nice to use the training and do the dives.

I am really leaning toward the Heliox or whatever the heck the NAUI name for it is. This way I can have the benefits of HE in my gas, and still basically dive a Nitrox profile. The next issue though is Deco. I would just as soon run the tables and carry a bottle of 50% with me than have my current dive computer bend me and fix me with a 15 minute stop at 10ft. I know that many of you dive Suunto Vyper/Vytecs, and I don't know if that gives deep stops or not, but there is a gauge mode.

Gert, does the Heliox class have any deco in it? I don't remember if it does or not.
08-04-2004, 02:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2004, 03:06 PM by scubert.)

Matt and I are definately going to do the adv. nitrox/deco. And Matt seems pretty set on the Heliox. I'm definately leaning that way, but have a few questions about the course. It'd be cool to all do the course together and really get the teamwork/buddy thing tight.

I believe the Vytec will handle the situation, but will NOT be buying another computer anytime soon. I will probably just dive the Vyper in gauge mode.
I don't think that the Naui Heliox course allows for deco, but Gert will have to confirm.
08-04-2004, 03:37 PM,

Quote:

I don't think that the Naui Heliox course allows for deco, but Gert will have to confirm.
Quote:

I was just at Deep Blue, and talked to Gert about it. He said the Helitrox can be taught with or without the deco. Cost is the same, and I will most likely take it with the Deco to build a stronger set of skills for the dives that I want to do.

08-14-2004, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2004, 12:36 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
As far as mixing recreational and technical divers, don't do it. I just got back from a charter in the straits where I had to deal with dummies HI MATT getting their snorkels caught in my guideline and then blaming me for "blocking their exit" with the line!!! (they were doing penetration with their single 80's at 120 feet with insufficient lights, no redundant air supply, no rule of thirds useage or gas management at all and a full-out flutter kick through the overhead!) They must not have read page 39 in their PADI OW manual talking about the hazards of overhead with no training.

And then a captain whining about the use of doubles on his boat to boot.

Never again.

If you need a dive buddy, I'll dive with either of you, Chris and Scubert.
09-04-2004, 12:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2004, 12:38 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
I found out that i've been banned now on Rec Diver. Darn.