Remember me
Lost Password Register

What Do You Carry
08-24-2004, 07:39 AM,
Re:What Do You Carry
40S&W Firestar... oh... you meant camera
08-24-2004, 07:50 PM,
Looks like I'm way outclassed here. I'm still packin my Nikonos II with an Oceanic strobe I bought about twenty five years ago. Its a good shooter, but I would like to take the big step into digital. Some day. Wink

Jim
08-25-2004, 07:12 AM,
Swimjim,

I don't know about the strobe, but that is still a sweet camera for deep diving. Unlike the newer models, 4's and 5's, you can flood that thing and dry it out to use it again. The 4's and 5's need to be sent back in for all new electronics, which cost about as much as a new camera, and your out a month, or so, of use.

Sea and Sea makes a wide angle conversion lens that you can screw onto the front of your camera to take some nice wide angle wreck shots- for a lot less money than a new 15mm lens. 8)

Jon
08-25-2004, 10:53 AM,
Jon Lack of electronics is a double edge sword. I have never had a "major" flood. Enough to mess up the film, although most of it was salvageable. But as you say, dry it out, replace a few O rings and your good to go. It sure would be nice however to be able to shoot a hundred or so photo's without reloading, not to mention being able to preview your work.
All the same, I'm happy with the system. That Sea & Sea wide angle. Is that the push on one that goes for about $300? I always wondered whether that lense was a coke bottle optic or actully half way decent. I would consider such an outlay. Being able to go wide would be great. Of course then I'd probably have to get a slave strobe to get enough coverage for adequate lighting. Once your looking at a grand for the lense I think it would be time to upgrade to digital.
Being a married guy with a family going digital would be a hard sell to the Misses. Wink Especially since I bought a dry suit this spring. Well, food for thought anyway.

Jim
08-25-2004, 10:57 AM,
That's the lens and it IS worth going for.

I had a freind who bought one for his Nikonos II and was pleased with the results. It s a little tricky in that you need to get water inbetween the two lenses, and make sure that all of the air bubbles are out. If you do that I am sure you will be quite a happy with the reuslts.

Jon