Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Michigan diving
04-24-2003, 06:23 AM,
Re:Lake Michigan diving
DIVE KAYAK! ;D

Get yourself a dive kayak and open ujp a whole new world to yourself. I use mine all the time for scuba/freediving. There are many lakes that you can really only dive by divekayak- Beaver Lake is one of them.

The Bond is on the outside of the breakwall on the south side of the harbor. She rests in 39' of water and usually has a buoy on her. Jerry Guyer found her, with his sidescan sonar, a few years ago and now uses her to do openwater training dives.

The Sumatra lies both inside and outside of the breakwall. Look at teh relief gap by the main gap- the one on the southside of the enterance. There is wreckage on both sides of the wall at that location.

You could also stop in at Pirate's Cove and pick up one of Jerry's wreck books for the number- I carry a GPS on my dive kayak.

Another great spot to dive, with a kayak, is just outside the rubble wall off of South Shore Yacht club, another place where we do openwater check out dives. There is all kinds of stuff in there and it is a nice sand/gravel bottom for check out dives. In the middle of the summer the vis is always 20'-30' and the water gets up to 74 degrees- which blows away Lannon Quarry or any of the other Inland sites that we are stuck using otherwise.
I have also taught classes out there when the Salmon come into spawn, and die. It's kind of fun to hand a new student at 20 pound fish to hold as it slowly swims away.

Jon

04-24-2003, 02:59 PM,
I have a Cobra Fish'n'Dive that spends most of it's just being a regular kayak or for fishing out of. The problem across the border here is finding others who kayak dive. I have had a great time the times I have taken mine out for that purpose.

JoelW
04-24-2003, 04:15 PM,
Deep Blue carries Ocean Kayak and will be offering kayakdiver specialties in the ner future.

Pirate's Cove handles Cobra.

I have an Ocean Kayak and a REALLY fast surfski- made by Futura.

Jon
04-24-2003, 05:27 PM,
I bought my first dive kayak about 10 years ago after trying them out on many different dive trips. When I was going through my instructor training in California they almost seemd like required gear by most serious divers. It was the best way to hit the kelp beds just offshore.

It is one of the most useful pieces of gear that I ever bought. It is tough, light weight, can be carried into any area, holds a ton of gear and can handle white caps on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. 8)

I used to take it out to ride the surf at Bradford Beach during the November storms when I lived in Milwaukee. I also took it out inbetween the iceflows in the winter time. Now I use them to paddle the four lakes around Madison.

There are many nice inland lakes with very limited access that make them perfect for kayak diving.

A kayak also cuts through the water so nice that it is actually easier to tow through the water than a dive flag- at least the plastic and fiberglass kayaks are. Stay away form inflatables as they get blown around too much and are nowhere near as rugged as a rotomolded plastic one.

I just attach a dive real onto the bow of my kayak and tow it behind me while diving. When I surface I have my ride waiting for me. ;D

The Ocean Kayaks and Cobra Kayaks can even be taken down class II rapids! I bought a fiberglass surfski for freediving that is very fast, but not meant for rapids.

SInce I bought the divekakyak I have actually enjoyed some regular kayking trips in addition to my dive trips. I have kayaked the mangroves in Bonaire and Curacao which allowed me to get right next to baby barracudas and upside down jellyfish. When I was paddeling in Vancouver I had seals following me so close that you'd have thought that they were on a leash!I have taken them through the surf in Cabo San Lucas, on trips to the flat waters of La Paz, camping in the Apostle Islands of Superior and on many different lakes in rivers in Wisconsin.

They are essential tool for anyone who doesn't have the cash for charter boats fees all of the time. They don't need to be gassed up and, at this point in time, don't need to be registered with the state. They strap onto the top of any car adn the launch fees are a fraction of what a regular boat's cost.

Jon