Remember me
Lost Password Register

Death in Alpena, MI
07-14-2004, 12:25 PM,
Re:Death in Alpena, MI
Anyone see a problem with this part of the story?
"Johnson and two of her friends were visiting the area for recreational diving in Lake Huron, Kierzek said.
The dive to the Norman, which was sitting in about 205 feet of water, went off without a hitch"

I hope it was just a bad choice of wording it since 205 feet is well beyond recreational limits.
07-14-2004, 12:35 PM,

You get used to reading news articles and just tossing out the 'reporter-speak'. Remember, nothing in quotes is truely exactly word for word what they said. ignore things like "ran out of air" or "ran out of oxygen" and read as "ran out of gas".

"recreational" implies "for fun" as far as reporters are concerned, not what we define as recreational.
07-14-2004, 05:38 PM,
If i recall,somwhere it said there was Trimix involved...I sincerely hope that Bill and the ND were not involved..how devastating.... I speak with Bill regularly, but have decided to not try to contact him at this time. It will all unfold in time. I assure you...however the accident happened, if it was on Bills boat, it was a freak accident and in no way reflects on Bill and his proceedures. He is a very solid tech diver and runs a tight ship..

Lets just keep them crossed that it is not ND
07-18-2004, 06:24 PM,
Both Greg and Capatain Dale also run technical charters out of Milwaukee. I believe that Captain Dean also wants to start running tech charters as well.

It's still to early to tell what happened and Bill may very well be running charters for years to come.

Jon
07-19-2004, 08:24 PM,
This bothers me quite a bit. I, for one as well as a few others, see and converse with Bill on a regular basis. There are a few of us that dock with him, and are greatly concerned with this whole thing. We have not gotten a definitive answer as to whether or not he was involved. We care only because we are concerned, and would like to do something for him when he returns. We are friends, but know enough to not try to contact him until we know more. There are all of these people out there that really have no relationship to him that claim they know the story. Paul, I am not trying to start anything here, but you are among those people. There are several others out there that claim the same...while people that genuinely care, have no idea what is going on.

At this point, because of the many signs, it does not look good...Yet I refuse to ASSUME.

my .02
Deano